PDA

View Full Version : stats when finding varieties before being circulated

willy13
04-15-2013, 10:35 AM
Last week I searched $10 in new uncirculated 2013 penny rolls. These came from the same box, but I only bought $10 of the box. I ended up finding 12 of the 2013P-1DO-001. I thought it was interesting that the most I found was 2 per roll and some rolls had none. I thought there would be more per roll... Not complaining just figured there would of been more considering they are minted at the same time. Clearly the rolls were diluted by other dies at some point. I tried to figure out how many dies but with little luck because I am not good at identifing markers. There was atleast 3 other dies but that was the best I could determine. Anyways, does this seem like the norm when finding these varieties before they hit circulation? This was the first time this happened to me, so I would be interested to hear about others experiences.

Roller
04-15-2013, 11:00 AM
It is normal in my experience. A box of solid date BUs generally have about 3-4 die pairs represented in them.

coop
04-15-2013, 11:06 AM
3-4 different die pairs is the exception. I've found as many as 30 different die pairs in a roll. So there is no hard rule.

Willy, I would keep searching for OBW rolls of the 2013 cents in your area. You might hit the gold mine as some die pairs end up in just one or two cities. Here in the west we seldom see a Philly cent. If we do find one it looks like it was dragged all the way here. I know others here would be glad to trade for one of these.

willy13
04-15-2013, 11:22 AM
I would of gone back to the same bank and bought the rest but I waited 2 weeks befor searching the 2013 rolls I bought. Solid rolls are so boring... well unless your finding stuff...:bigsmile:

I will certainly continue to look as I find more 2013 rolls.

coop
04-15-2013, 11:50 AM
Find a marker that is common on the 2013 rolls that is the DDO, you can just check that area of the coin. In seconds you could amass a large supply of varieties for 1 cent each. They would be hot on eBay with the right images. Now is the time to sell these as many collectors don't even know they are out there.