PDA

View Full Version : At what point do you say "no thanks"?

Roller
04-16-2013, 10:29 AM
Just got an other call from Publix that they have a bag of coins for me. This will be the third in a week. I have four bags at home that I need to search but I just don't have the guts to say no. So I said I'd be there this afternoon to pick it up.
I'm getting to the point where I will have to plain-sort (by naked eye) all the apparent MS coins to examine later and not bother with the others. That will cut down my finds but maybe I will get ones that are of high grade. If I let the bag go, I will not see any of the content at all so I'm thinking this is the better rout.
What would you do, other than pile the bags ceiling high? (Do I need to see a therapist?:tinysmile_cry_t3:)

seal006
04-16-2013, 10:39 AM
Problem is, if you tell them no, it might hinder you from getting some in the future when you are in need of some. You could offer them here at face value plus postage, if you have more than you can handle at the moment. I know I cannot get bags, but cannot justify the premium usually added to bags over the same dollar amount for bricks. Shipping of a medium flat rate box I can handle. Just food for thought.

Maineman750
04-16-2013, 10:41 AM
George, I just pile em up in my spare bedroom. At one point I had 22 bags but they have dwindled down to just a couple. Can't resist :tinysmile_hmm_t:

Roller
04-16-2013, 10:44 AM
George, I just pile em up in my spare bedroom. At one point I had 22 bags but they have dwindled down to just a couple. Can't resist :tinysmile_hmm_t:
Wow! Good to know I'm not alone.

Chugly
04-16-2013, 10:50 AM
Just think of what all the Canadian searchers are thinking! "If I'd only grabbed all I could when they were still being minted! (or something along those lines)." Our cent cannot continue to be produced forever. I think odds are better than 50% that it will be eliminated within the next 5 years. With that in mind, I am taking everything I can get! I can get to be a problem with cash flow, but my small town seems to give up just enough for me to keep up with.

Vickilynn
04-16-2013, 11:00 AM
Wow I just had the same thing happen to me, 6 bags & then a call for 12 boxes that I was waiting for. The bags were not so good but the boxes usually produce lots of wheats & goodies. So far they have been pretty good and I am glad I did not turn them down. Meanwhile I have to tell the wolves knocking on my door to wait till I am done searching to get paid LOL Vickilynn

Roller
04-16-2013, 11:02 AM
Wow I just had the same thing happen to me, 6 bags & then a call for 12 boxes that I was waiting for. The bags were not so good but the boxes usually produce lots of wheats & goodies. So far they have been pretty good and I am glad I did not turn them down. Meanwhile I have to tell the wolves knocking on my door to wait till I am done searching to get paid LOL Vickilynn
Sounds like the ailment is pervasive.:LOL_Hair:

wapa
04-16-2013, 11:06 AM
Collect them all Roller! A problem or disease, maybe and would therapy help, maybe, but it is an addiction. The withdrawals isn't worth it, according to my therapist. :tinysmile_eyebrow_t

Weren't you selling or trading bags at one time?

Sorry time for my meds......

Roller
04-16-2013, 11:08 AM
Just think of what all the Canadian searchers are thinking! "If I'd only grabbed all I could when they were still being minted! (or something along those lines)." Our cent cannot continue to be produced forever. I think odds are better than 50% that it will be eliminated within the next 5 years. With that in mind, I am taking everything I can get! I can get to be a problem with cash flow, but my small town seems to give up just enough for me to keep up with.
I'm stashing all the copper anyway, separating the nicer stuff for future collectors and the lesser for melt if it ever comes about that we can do that. Between that the attributed stuff and all the questionables I have put aside, I'll have more than I care to think about for the future.

liveandievarieties
04-16-2013, 11:23 AM
I'm with others- we have several 5-gallon buckets filled (one with your bags in it too George!). We've got so much ahead of us that we started making furniture out of it- a 20 gallon rubbermaid tub filled with bags and a tablecloth make a nice coffee table and end tables! Really, we have so, so many cents. But as long as they are available, we're snapping them up. I plan to be around for several decades more and in just a year we can get through 80 to 120 bags, so I don't even have a year's supply!

Roller
04-16-2013, 12:40 PM
Collect them all Roller! A problem or disease, maybe and would therapy help, maybe, but it is an addiction. The withdrawals isn't worth it, according to my therapist. :tinysmile_eyebrow_t

Weren't you selling or trading bags at one time?

Sorry time for my meds......
Yes I was and may have to again.

copperlover
04-16-2013, 01:01 PM
George you may have an opportunity here. A trusted supplier and ample supplies. Maybe you need some help in turning the bags out but it would make sense keeping them.

Lucien

ericodapro
04-16-2013, 01:10 PM
How big are these bags?

Maineman750
04-16-2013, 02:51 PM
How big are these bags?

$50 in a bag.

cimperialis
04-16-2013, 02:57 PM
I'll add yet another vote for stockpiling them. As long as you have enough space, keep them coming.

admrose
04-16-2013, 03:31 PM
Sounds like the ailment is pervasive.:LOL_Hair:

I have the cure.

It's called a wife.

Rollem
04-16-2013, 04:00 PM
I was just a few weeks ago moving things from my downstairs to new shop 100 yards from house. My brother in law was helping ask what are these bags. I told him to get the hand trucks. Sixteen unopened went to the shop.

PILE DEM UP

James

willy13
04-16-2013, 04:37 PM
I have almost $2000 in bricks waiting for me to look through. Your not alone...:)

coincollectingenterprises
04-16-2013, 04:40 PM
Never too much. Ever.

Jacob
04-16-2013, 05:01 PM
As long as you have the money to spare keep buying the bags. Nothing wrong with having a bunch to look through. Thats why they say save it for a rainy day.

Roller
04-16-2013, 06:11 PM
Man! I thought I was hard core. I guess I'm just starting after all. Thanks for all the responses and encouragement. I'll keep buying until my wife threatens divorce (or something worse).

wapa
04-16-2013, 06:52 PM
It's the something worse that I worry about.....

Man you got a gold mine there. If the gold is there and the price is right, you always keep mining.

admrose
04-17-2013, 11:34 AM
Man! I thought I was hard core. I guess I'm just starting after all. Thanks for all the responses and encouragement. I'll keep buying until my wife threatens divorce (or something worse).

Remember, she has access to you while you sleep.

I don't stockpile, but I still go through 12.5k cents a week.

coincollectingenterprises
04-17-2013, 11:56 AM

If you get in a tough spot with her threatening you, I'll shoot you over a behind the scenes photograph of what is one day's worth of inventory of cents for me. You'll get some serious apologies from her after that.

1jackel1
04-18-2013, 05:29 PM
lol this a insane thing we do here, i did the math and last year i went through over a million Lincoln cents and my eye's continue to hurt lol but i love it. i have to post the new find i found last night in an obw 1960ld 1do-003 and it is beautiful and a tough coin to locate. this is why i love this stuff, you never know what you are going to find. keep stock piling those cents lol

George