PDA

View Full Version : Slabs and the ease of destroying them

eaxtellcoin
04-18-2013, 03:07 PM
Here is a pic of one of my 1911-S Cents. This slab went in my pocket for ONE coin show to sell/trade.
when I got there I put my keys in the same pocket. the damage is from 4 hrs in a pocket with keys. Slabs are very easy to scratch/destroy so be careful if you purchase a coin in a slab!!!

jcuve
04-18-2013, 03:25 PM
I would think the TPGs would all have a upgraded version that was extra strong (and as a bonus) optically coated. You would have to pay extra, but some people would do it just for this reason.

GrumpyEd
04-18-2013, 04:36 PM
The ANACs slabs made since the small ones are pretty flimsy. Some are not sealed together well, a twist with your hand and they fall apart. PCGS and NGC slabs are tougher. SEGs slabs are super tough. You can club them and they stay intact.

Sometimes you can fix some scratches on slabs. Try buffing and polishing them out. You can use one of those kits they sell for polishing plastic headlight covers.

If I'm carrying a slab I'll put in one of those mylar bags made for sports cards, they fit tight and help avoid scratches.

seal006
04-18-2013, 04:48 PM
The ANACs slabs made since the small ones are pretty flimsy. Some are not sealed together well, a twist with your hand and they fall apart. PCGS and NGC slabs are tougher. SEGs slabs are super tough. You can club them and they stay intact.

Sometimes you can fix some scratches on slabs. Try buffing and polishing them out. You can use one of those kits they sell for polishing plastic headlight covers.

If I'm carrying a slab I'll put in one of those mylar bags made for sports cards, they fit tight and help avoid scratches.

I found at Wal-mart a 2X3 inch baggie that has a ziplock type closure. I have used these when shipping slabbed coins.

cableman
04-18-2013, 08:14 PM
The 1st ? I would ask is why would you put keys in the same pocket.There's no doubt that the holder would get at least scratched.:squigglemouth:

grizz
04-19-2013, 09:54 AM
The 1st ? I would ask is why would you put keys in the same pocket.There's no doubt that the holder would get at least scratched.:squigglemouth:

i kinda wondered too. :bigsmile: