PDA

View Full Version : Overlay of doubled dies

jhcons
04-26-2013, 06:19 AM
I have 2 questions here and one pic for help.

> I was wondering if you can do an overlay of a doubled die to see if it is the same die? Mainly on the class 6 ones.

> If there are no die markers that much up with a coin that has been attributed does that mean that it is not that variety or just a different stage?

> Can someone tell me if this is from the same die. I did an overlay on a 1950-S 1mm-008. So did I do that right? And got the ok from bob on this guys. First photo is mine and second is the overlay.

coppercoins
04-26-2013, 07:12 AM
The way to determine whether coins are from the same die with an overlay is to click back and forth between layers to see if anything moves, or if flow lines and markers match at all.

Nobody can tell from a half-opaque overlay image whether coins are from the same die. They would have to see the layers in action to tell.

jfines69
04-26-2013, 12:28 PM
I agree with Mr. D.... For this instant you may want to try an overlay with the entire mm and date... Then switch back and forth... If these match then it could be a different die state... Hope that helps!!!

GrumpyEd
04-26-2013, 11:19 PM
If there are no die markers that much up with a coin that has been attributed does that mean that it is not that variety or just a different stage? No matching markers could be the same die, different stage or different die.

For the most part the markers can rule a die in but not rule it out.
Different MM position can rule a die out.
Matching doubling or an RPM (as long as position matches) can rule a die in as long as it's unique enough and matching markers help make you sure.

jhcons
04-27-2013, 12:11 AM
Thank you! I am starting to figure that out. I have been doing overlays most of the night getting some packages ready to send out of some unlisted stuff. I noticed on the ones that do match, some of the flow lines or scratches lined up from my picture to the attributed one.

willbrooks
04-27-2013, 07:31 AM
No matching markers could be the same die, different stage or different die.

For the most part the markers can rule a die in but not rule it out.
Different MM position can rule a die out.
Matching doubling or an RPM (as long as position matches) can rule a die in as long as it's unique enough and matching markers help make you sure.

Great post, Ed. It has been said many times here, use markers to CONFIRM a variety, not to identify it. Markers can appear and disappear throughout a die's life span. First match the doubling itself by class/spread direction/severity etc. Mint mark position on pre-1990 business strikes is the obvious starting point, if you have a mint mark. From there, move on to die scratches/chips/cracks etc.