PDA

View Full Version : 1970-d ddo

Maineman750
04-30-2013, 05:57 AM
Another of my recent finds and another chance to practice with my new set-up. The glare is tough on any coins with luster but I think I did better on the focusing this time. Any tips on the photos appreciated.1970D-1DO-001

hasfam
04-30-2013, 06:11 AM
1st, Congrats on your find Roger. Been looking for that one myself. 2nd, I don't know what kind of camera or lights you are using, but from the look of the obverse photo, I would say your lights are too close to the coin. I use 2 long gooseneck lamps and would pull them back and around until the clare was gone. At the same time turn the ends of the lamps up apposed to them pointing downward directly onto the coin. This gives you fuller light over the coin without a particular hot spot. It may look a little dark in the camera, but give it a little contrast on the computer and the light and color will come out on the coin.

chuckster125
04-30-2013, 06:23 AM
Congrats Roger

Great find and pics!

* Sorry, can't help you with your photo questions, I don't use anything special, just use a Sony Digital with a macro lens attachment for close-ups.* Not the best pics but it works for my purposes.

*coop can probably help you with the back-ground lighting etc also.*

Rollem
04-30-2013, 07:04 AM
Nice coin and find Roger, some coin like people just don't like their picture taken :angel: JJ

you're getting there pic are looking better and better.

James

Maineman750
04-30-2013, 07:45 AM
Moved to a better forum. Rock, do you mean turn the lamps up toward the ceiling ? I can't quite comprehend what you're telling me. I have a Canon XS Rebel withe the stand Ray was selling last week...along with two Jansjo gooseneck lights diffused with tissue paper.

hasfam
04-30-2013, 07:57 AM
I would move the heads of the lamps back a little and move them around while eyeing the coin through the camera until you have the coin lighted enough without the glare. Also, tissue paper may not be enough filter to stop the glare. I use backing paper for labels. A little more thicker but still allows good light. I wish I could show you what I mean in person. Not very good at explaining these things.

jcuve
04-30-2013, 08:32 AM
This is the best Denver DDO from 1970. Nice find!

coop
04-30-2013, 09:59 AM
Roger check you setup to see if you have an unwanted light source. Try placing your hands around the coin area and see if there is window light or a room light creating the unwanted glare. If you can figure out the direction it is coming from, then take a facial tissue and some tape and make a curtain to block the unwanted light source.

Maineman750
04-30-2013, 10:21 AM
Thanks coop, I'll do that.....all out of thanks already so I owe you one.

copperlover
04-30-2013, 10:27 AM
Roger great 1970D DDO and good pics. I do see the hotspots from the added lighting. I do not know much about correcting this so I will leave it to the experts.

Lucien

Maineman750
04-30-2013, 11:44 AM
OK..using some of your tips, I've retaken the full shot and gotten closer to where I want to be. At least I think so, do you ?