PDA

View Full Version : Penny CRH

AmericasPennies
05-03-2013, 05:27 PM
Hey everybody!
I am very new to coin collecting in general and need info.
I am currently starting with coin roll hunting pennies.
Should I keep all the coppers?
Only pre 1970s?
Could you just tell me what to keep?
Thanks,
Jonathan:):):)

GrumpyEd
05-03-2013, 05:52 PM
Everyone decides the way that makes sense to them.

I know some people do keep all coppers, that's mostly because they want to hold them for copper value.

I think it makes as much or more sense to save the nice looking red zincs. Especially if you find ones from the 80s-90s because it seems few rolls were saved and the ones in circulation get ugly fast.

I'd save some solid date bank rolls or OBWs or even mixed rolls as long as they're all red uncs.

Imagine if you saved some stuff from 60+ years ago. If it was common brown circ copper it's only worth a few times face value which is less than if you put that money in a bank over the same period. Even if copper goes up a few fold in price they're still only worth a few cents each. If you saved unc rolls from 60+ years ago then you might have some good stuff.

simonm
05-03-2013, 07:03 PM
It's all about what YOUR interests are. Do you want to search for die varieties? What era? Wheats, memorials, or modern stuff? Do you only want to find cherrypicker's varieties or minor ones, too? We can't tell you exactly which ones to keep because we don't know what YOU are interested in. If die varieties is your thing, buy a Cherrypicker's guide Edition 5 volume 1. If that is unsatisfactory, bookmark coppercoins.com and do die variety searches to find out which dates have lots of varieties to look for. For information on sorting and more "key date" info, check out the following threads:
http://lincolncentresource.net/forums/showthread.php?t=25707
http://lincolncentresource.net/forums/showthread.php?t=179

In fact, if you are just starting out, I highly recommend the sticky threads in the "For the Lincoln Cent Beginner" subforum. We have great threads there to get you started. Hope this helps. Ask questions and have fun!

Maineman750
05-04-2013, 01:43 AM
Keep everything you like,you can always spend them later when your interests change.

cimperialis
05-04-2013, 10:23 AM
When you say "should," I assume you are asking what is valuable by date and composition. Definitely keep all wheats. It is debatable if you want to keep the coppers. For me, it so much trouble lugging them around, storing them etc., that I'd rather do without. Overall, you make little money on them anyway. In my opinion, I would rather spend the extra time searching for varieties and errors.

admrose
05-04-2013, 05:26 PM
When you say "should," I assume you are asking what is valuable by date and composition. Definitely keep all wheats. It is debatable if you want to keep the coppers. For me, it so much trouble lugging them around, storing them etc., that I'd rather do without. Overall, you make little money on them anyway. In my opinion, I would rather spend the extra time searching for varieties and errors.

I do both. The little money I do make funds the acquisition of new stuff to search through. Every little bit helps. Personally, I save all wheats, copper Lincoln's (to sell), Canadians, S mint marks, errors (to sell) and varieties.

wojod68
05-04-2013, 05:50 PM
Normally keeping dates 82 and older is a good guideline. But there are some penny dates after 82 that are very collectable but that's up to what your interests are. Maybe buy one of the penny folders to fill so that you can have a beginning collection and give your collecting a guideline. This way you can track your coins and when you get a better copy you just replace the older one and possible trade for a better date.

admrose
05-04-2013, 05:55 PM
Just remember that some 82s are made from zinc and some copper. The zincs weigh 2.5g and the coppers 3.11g.

enamel7
05-04-2013, 06:45 PM
Just remember that some 82s are made from zinc and some copper. The zincs weigh 2.5g and the coppers 3.11g.
And they're not pennies.
:D