PDA

View Full Version : Possible Error coin!

AmericasPennies
05-05-2013, 02:47 PM
Hey guys,
I was searching through a roll of pennies when I found a 1968-D.
What I think might be an error is that it is like a purple red color vs. the normal brown-red.
Any thoughts?
Thanks,
jonathan

simonm
05-05-2013, 02:50 PM
Pictures always help us out, but in this case I have an explanation.
The coin has taken on colors due to environmental factors such as where it was stored, what it was stored in, etc. Toning is not an error that occurs at the mint, as it is a factor that occurs OUTSIDE the mint.

papascoins
05-05-2013, 02:53 PM
It has been subjected to some kind of cleaning solution or solvent. Usually from a washing machine, or someone tried to 'treat' it with something to clean it, or it sat where it was exposed to some chemical over a period of time. A type of mild acid will do this too.

simonm
05-05-2013, 02:54 PM
It has been subjected to some kind of cleaning solution or solvent. Usually from a washing machine, or someone tried to 'treat' it with something to clean it, or it sat where it was exposed to some chemical over a period of time. A type of mild acid will do this too.

What Mark said could also be the case. It may have simply been stained by some fluid instead of having been toned.

AmericasPennies
05-05-2013, 05:45 PM
Ok, thanks for the input.
I tried to put a picture in but it wouldn't upload.
Thanks anyway...

simonm
05-05-2013, 05:54 PM
Here's a thread on how to upload pics. http://lincolncentresource.net/forums/showthread.php?t=26860

AmericasPennies
05-06-2013, 05:52 AM
Thanks for the link but when i followed the instructions, it said that the upload of the file failed?
What should I do?