PDA

View Full Version : Trying to market old circulated penny collections

mfmcguinness
05-07-2013, 05:00 PM
Good evening. I have been working with some estate folks and have acquired a certain amount of worn lincoln cents along with some not so unique errored coins. Is there a market for G - F grade worn lincoln cents starting from 1909 to 1959? I can list the coins by date and grade but is there someone or some particular clearing house that someone within this forum would recommend? I am not interested in dropping them for pennies apiece but I am also not interested in holding them if they can help someone elses collection. Thank you for your time in reading and possibly answering my inquiry. mfmcguinness 5/7/2013

mustbebob
05-07-2013, 05:03 PM
Something like EBay would suffice to do what you want. Otherwise, you can advertise on Craigslist or other open forums that allow it. We do have the trading post here, but you must have established yourself here before you can sell.

seal006
05-07-2013, 05:39 PM
Just to add to what Bob has said, you need to know what their value is first. Aside from the key coins, a majority of Lincolns are just plain common in the grades you mention. Brick and mortar dealers get 5 to 7 cents each when bought in bulk. On occasion eBay is a little better. I purchase large lots all the time, of course I look for the best deal I can find at the time. As I am sure others on here as well do the same.

mfmcguinness
05-08-2013, 01:41 PM
I would like to thank you folks for your answers. While I appreciate that Ebay and Craigslist have listings for many coins, finding a marketplace where folks appreciate Lincoln cents and value them fairly is more what I am looking for. I am convinced that there is a market for circulated early teen S mint marks and other pre-1940-50-60 runs of this denomination. I sought out the LCR on line with the intent both to increase my understanding of how mint errors were catagorized and to hopefully find a market for the specimens I have been accumulating. I have not been dissapointed with the educational content of the site and I do wish to express my appreciation to the folks who keep this going.

I am preparing a listing of the years and the dates that are available and their relative condition as referenced using Photograde. Since these are all circulated and, as noted above, relatively common, it is my intention to post the list where folks have interest in the items.

If you can help with some suggestions that would be great. If not, thank you for your time and courtesy.

Best regards
Mike McGuinness

Garrett
05-08-2013, 02:12 PM
Mike once you get a list I wouldnt mind looking threw them and seeing if I like any. Just pm me a list when you have it.

Antiquity
05-08-2013, 02:48 PM
The plain fact is most common date wheats in that condition are only worth a few cents each. People who know nothing about the hobby think that just because its really old its worth something, sadly most are not.

GrumpyEd
05-08-2013, 02:54 PM
Maybe pull out anything that's worth more like semi keys or keys if there are any and old teen S but even then only pre 1916 S are going to get much. Other than that stuff or varieties most are only worth a few cents in bulk.

You might do best putting the stuff up as sets and hope for the best.

WaterSport
05-08-2013, 04:41 PM
I just did an appraisal and told my client to simply "unload" those cents for whatever he can get from a dealer at a coin show. They are simply not worth the time to hang on to and people are not going to pay crazy money and make someone rich period. If folks released back into circulation very 1944 cent they have held on to, the mint would not have to make any cents next year LOL

WS