PDA

View Full Version : BU 2013's

Garrett
05-09-2013, 05:38 PM
Are any of the 2000's and up cents that are grade BU or Uncirculated worth holding onto as far as value?

Iv got my 3rd box and notice a lot of nice BU and wondering if they are worth anything over FV?

GrumpyEd
05-09-2013, 06:27 PM
Not really.

If you learn to be a skilled grader and can tell the difference between the high unc grades within a grade then you might search through thousands and find some that are 68-69-70 and the top grades sell for thousands but those are one in a million coins.

The reality is, 99.999% of them are normal BU and worth a cent because all cents start out as uncirculated.
You'd probably need to save the normal rolls for a few years before you can sell them for a small premium and then they probably level off at a buck or two per roll for many years.

Garrett
05-09-2013, 06:41 PM
Not really.

If you learn to be a skilled grader and can tell the difference between the high unc grades within a grade then you might search through thousands and find some that are 68-69-70 and the top grades sell for thousands but those are one in a million coins.

The reality is, 99.999% of them are normal BU and worth a cent because all cents start out as uncirculated.
You'd probably need to save the normal rolls for a few years before you can sell them for a small premium and then they probably level off at a buck or two per roll for many years.

I thought about keeping a roll of each year for my own collection for no obvious reason lol

GrumpyEd
05-09-2013, 10:31 PM
That's a good way to save them, a roll of each year.
Now you could just start with the shield reverses and go from there or do a short set of only 2009 types.

Ask the coin shops for the empty boxes they get tubes in, it makes a good way to organize rolls or tubes and holds 100 per box.
You'll get a box that holds 100 tubes if you buy 100 tubes.

jhcons
05-12-2013, 03:58 PM
That's a good way to save them, a roll of each year.

Ask the coin shops for the empty boxes they get tubes in, it makes a good way to organize rolls or tubes and holds 100 per box.
You'll get a box that holds 100 tubes if you buy 100 tubes.

That is a great way to store them. When I said I was cleaning spare room a while ago I pulled out over 20 cases full and sold atleast 15 to coin shop and still have side of office closet stacked up with them.
Which do you think would keep the new bank wrapped rolls better, in a nickel tube or just in the old tube box packed away?

GrumpyEd
05-12-2013, 04:15 PM
That is a great way to store them. When I said I was cleaning spare room a while ago I pulled out over 20 cases full and sold atleast 15 to coin shop and still have side of office closet stacked up with them.
Which do you think would keep the new bank wrapped rolls better, in a nickel tube or just in the old tube box packed away?

For OBWs I think I'd keep them in brick boxes. They take the least space.
If they were got at face for 50 cents each it's probably most cost effective not to invest 30-50 cents more to tube them, might as well use that money to save more OBWs.
I know some people cram OBW cent rolls into nickel tubes, I guess that works if you have the tubes.

coppercoins
05-13-2013, 04:18 AM
Saying new BU cents aren't worth anything would be like telling someone in 1986 that new rolls weren't worth anything - and now they run about $30 a roll. Basically, it's irresponsible.

Truth is, BU rolls will always sell at above face value. The amount above face value is determined by a number of market factors. There is never any harm in saving them as long as you have the space for them and store them properly.