PDA

View Full Version : Possible real OBW Roll on eBay!!!

ray_parkhurst
05-12-2013, 04:08 PM
This is the best looking "OBW" I've seen all year. I'd bid on it but I have way too many 55-S rolls already. This roll passes all of the criteria I listed in the OBW buying guide: the font/printing on the roll is consistent with known OBW's from late 1954 to early 1955 San Francisco Fed; the crimping looks original, messy, and un-frayed; and the end coins look like they've been there for 58 years. Now, I have no history with this seller, but he his feedback is 100% with 6830 sales so risk seems fairly low.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/370812985076?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

edited to add...I couldn't help myself, I bid on it...but was quickly outbid...Ray

Garrett
05-12-2013, 04:23 PM
Damn wish I had the $$ to bid on it but im tight right now before I start my new job

Antiquity
05-12-2013, 05:10 PM
I like it, and need a roll of this date to add to my set, not much exciting in the way of varieties other than 1MM-001 to me though. I might place a bid, thanks Ray.

ray_parkhurst
05-12-2013, 05:18 PM
I like it, and need a roll of this date to add to my set, not much exciting in the way of varieties other than 1MM-001 to me though. I might place a bid, thanks Ray.

I've searched literally hundreds of BU rolls of 55-S, both OBW and tubed, and have found perhaps 5 RPM #1. They are tough, and most of the ones I've found are not all that well struck. Personally, I would not recommend buying just to get #1 since probability is so low...Ray

admrose
05-12-2013, 06:14 PM
I'd be more interested if it were a more exciting date/mintmark combo.

ray_parkhurst
05-12-2013, 06:50 PM
What's so wrong with 55-S? Five or more major RPMs known...the only heavily marketed BIE...last year that the SF mint produced mintmarked circulation coins for many years. Now, the fact that one collector stockpiled 7 Million of them (!!) and the whereabouts and status of that hoard is unknown to this day makes any long-term investment in 55-S questionable, but in my experience the 55-S has been THE roll to watch for decades to ascertain the health of the BU roll market. All in all, a very interesting roll of coins.

jhcons
05-13-2013, 03:20 AM
and the end coins look like they've been there for 58 years. .

I bought a about 30 bank wrapped rolls this weekend at show. 2 of them happened to be 55-s for $15.00 each. Now I can fully understand what the end coins should look like.

jhcons
05-13-2013, 03:25 AM
I've searched literally hundreds of BU rolls of 55-S, both OBW and tubed, and have found perhaps 5 RPM #1. They are tough, and most of the ones I've found are not all that well struck. Personally, I would not recommend buying just to get #1 since probability is so low...Ray

I to have searched atleast a hundred of 55 s rolls and never found ane rpm #1. UNTILL tonight I found 3 rpm #1 and a few other rpms in one roll :):) these are 2 different ones. Sry about pics I bought different lights friday and am now just trying them out. need more work lol

ray_parkhurst
05-13-2013, 07:05 AM
Congrats, excellent find! Was this one of the OBW rolls? What bank was it from and what did the wrapper look like? Pics would be nice...3 RPM #1 in a single roll would probably be a record...Ray

jallengomez
05-13-2013, 07:37 AM
It was a couple of years ago, but I ended up pulling 8 #1s out of two 25 Cent rolls which were purchased off of Ebay.

ray_parkhurst
05-13-2013, 08:41 AM
OK, you guys are officially more lucky than I am with 55-S rolls. Makes me hopeful for the rolls I haven't had time to search yet...Ray

jhcons
05-13-2013, 09:28 AM
Congrats, excellent find! Was this one of the OBW rolls? What bank was it from and what did the wrapper look like? Pics would be nice...3 RPM #1 in a single roll would probably be a record...Ray

Now that's just it the wrapper was faded so bad I did not think it was bank wrapped. I looked at wrapper under glass and the last 2 numbers where something 7. I did not look at wrapper after opening it. Still on me table I bet. I will look tonite. Oh yeah I am supossed to pick up about 300 rolls today. Half are supposed to be bw with majority being from 59 to 70. So much coin stuff this weekend I forgot.