PDA

View Full Version : 1983-S DCAM PR 70 ICG Graded

copperlover
05-13-2013, 08:30 AM
I had a slabbed coin 1983-S DCAM PR 70 cent which I passed on to my two year old granddaughter. From a recent review of coin prices I notice that those graded by PCGS are valued ($1,500 FMV). I wouldn't expect the valuation of an ICG graded coin the same but about 50% of the FMV. What kind of valuation would you give it? Thanks for any input. It is hard to get sharp images because of the glare from the coin.

Lucien

1jackel1
05-13-2013, 09:15 AM
I would say at least say 75% or more of the value of a pcgs holder-ed one, Icg does grade coins well.

George

jallengomez
05-13-2013, 09:35 AM
Unfortunately, the last few 70 ICG slabs on Teletrade have sold for under $20. That's a tough, tough cross-over to take a gamble on.

liveandievarieties
05-13-2013, 09:37 AM
I can almost guarantee you that a coin graded MS or PF-70 by ICG or SEGS won't crossover into a PCGS holder. As for it's value alone, Jody beat me to it. But it looks like George is a buyer!

1jackel1
05-13-2013, 10:59 AM
I can almost guarantee you that a coin graded MS or PF-70 by ICG or SEGS won't crossover into a PCGS holder. As for it's value alone, Jody beat me to it. But it looks like George is a buyer!

LOL, That is funny but i believe that icg is an under rated grading company, i would not even compare them to segs Chris. do not get me wrong, it will not cross over as high in a pcgs holder but you never know if you do not try. I think everyone relies to much on pcgs grading.

George

liveandievarieties
05-13-2013, 11:39 AM
I agree completely with you. The difference between a proof-69 and 70 is pretty much nothing. You take 50 PF70s and 50 PF69s and hide their grades- NOBODY, not even PCGS will be able to sort them precisely without knowning the grades on their holders. Further, you can send the same coin multiple times and get very different grades- I've had PF-65s get kicked up to PF67, and PF69s returned as a Proof-66....

BUY THE COIN NOT THE HOLDER!!!!

GrumpyEd
05-13-2013, 01:02 PM
When it's a modern and a few points makes it go from feast to famine I don't think the ICG grade matters. I'd value it the same as any raw 1983-s proof.

PCGS prices are for PCGS coins, don't expect a fixed percentage of that price for modern coins not in PCGS holders. If it worked that way we could all send in moderns and retire but it doesn't work that way.

BadThad
05-13-2013, 02:14 PM
Consider most of the PCGS "value" is in the slab for registry competition. Basically nothing more than a contest for who has the most money to spend on coins....sorry to the registry folks, just my personal feeling.

copperlover
05-13-2013, 03:09 PM
After looking at this Coin for quite a while I would guess a grade of 70 for the Obverse but only a 67 for the Reverse. That would give it a final grade of PF68. This grade would only be about $7 per PCGS price guide. On this basis my estimated FMV would be way off. I am sort of disappointed but I must wake up to what is real and what is unreal. One can never be guided by what is listed as Fair Market Value. I do agree that those prices are mostly for Registry Sets. Thanks for all who have contributed.
Lucien