PDA

View Full Version : This may be trails (or abrasion). 2013P

papascoins
05-13-2013, 10:28 PM
This may be trails, but it could possibly be abrasion though. Just wanted to pass it along. Maybe someone has seen it. It would be too minor to list as trails anyway.
Also, Don't the letters 'T' and 'Y' look a little thick? (Too minor to list that too.) :squigglemouth:

enamel7
05-13-2013, 10:40 PM
They look like trails to me Mark! I believe that isn't too minor. If you can get a photo of those buggers then I say good enough.
Gilbert

GrumpyEd
05-13-2013, 11:21 PM
They seem to go the same exact direction of the polishing lines.

Interesting.

copperlover
05-14-2013, 09:30 AM
They may be minor because they run in the same general direction of the striations or polishing lines and don't show up as major trails. Try images from another angle and check the results.

Lucien

papascoins
05-14-2013, 12:46 PM
Try images from another angle and check the results.
Lucien

This was the best angle. They are very weak.

coppercoins
05-14-2013, 01:35 PM
They seem to go the same exact direction of the polishing lines.

Interesting.

Indeed. How many don't?

GrumpyEd
05-14-2013, 02:16 PM
Indeed. How many don't?

I'm not sure but it makes me think about the cause of trails.
If they follow the direction of the polishing lines that were present when the trails were formed then it might mean that the cause of some or maybe all trails is from the method used for polishing. Maybe they use a tool like a wire wheel and and if they use too much pressure or do it too long some of the wires follow the devices and dig out from the corners in the same direction they were moving and that causes trails.

Food for thought :)

mustbebob
05-14-2013, 03:39 PM
Your rationale has been Chuck's belief all along. There are many, many examples where trails are running in the same direction as abrasion lines. With that being said, there are just as many examples where the trails do not follow that pattern, and/or are isolated, or dual directional. This is one of those areas where I don't know for sure if we will ever know the answer for sure.
If you read BJ Neffs theory on how they are formed on the trail dies web site, it is compelling in its own right. Things that make you go hmmmmmm....

celartu
05-14-2013, 04:12 PM
Even me, though weak, are trails, congratulations

GrumpyEd
05-14-2013, 04:24 PM
It is compelling.
Even multiple direction trails could be because they polished like that in 2 directions and in the end you see both trails.
The only way you'd see the matching polishing lines is if the last step of polishing is the step that made those trails.
A last quick polish in a different direction might wipe out the lines made with any trails but the fact that on some coins it matches is interesting to see.
It can be confounding to prove something like this, it might be that some are caused one way like polishing and some another way like from the hub shifting.

lineop3
05-19-2013, 03:35 AM
Minor or not...they are trails. Good eyes on that one!
I haven't found any on the 2013's as of yet.

Aisha

papascoins
05-19-2013, 07:13 PM
Minor or not...they are trails. Good eyes on that one!
I haven't found any on the 2013's as of yet.

Aisha

Thanks Aisha.
I only found two so far. I posted the other one here: http://www.lincolncentresource.net/forums/showthread.php?t=28247