PDA

View Full Version : Error Struck Through | 1997(?) struck through grease (both sides?)

jcuve
01-27-2009, 02:53 PM
A new acquisition that I thinks looks pretty cool. In the right light, the tad bit of date looks like it says 1997 or 1999...

http://i732.photobucket.com/albums/ww322/jcuve/1997_struck_through.jpg

JonMN34
01-27-2009, 02:57 PM
Could that be an under pressurized or test strike?

CCC
01-27-2009, 03:01 PM
That is what I would think it is. Nice find

grnwavdav
01-27-2009, 03:03 PM
Nice find! I would be cool to find a test strike. I hope it is one.

1sgret
01-27-2009, 03:48 PM
A weak strike/die trial error coin will have certain specifi characteristics which make it eaisly identified.

1. It will be weakly struck all over.

2. The rim will be poorly formed and will usually retain the shape elements strongly made while others will have been obliterated by the die clogs.

3. The weight of the coin will be exactlywhat a normally coin should weigh.

I would venture to guess that your first conclusion that it is struck thru grease.debris is the correct answer. You do have a nice example.

jcuve
01-27-2009, 03:53 PM
A weak strike/die trial error coin will have certain specifi characteristics which make it eaisly identified.

1. It will be weakly struck all over.

2. The rim will be poorly formed and will usually retain the shape elements strongly made while others will have been obliterated by the die clogs.

3. The weight of the coin will be exactlywhat a normally coin should weigh.

I would venture to guess that your first conclusion that it is struck thru grease.debris is the correct answer. You do have a nice example.

Thanks for the info Joe!

Some of design does show through on the reverse. I wouldn't describe the rim as poorly formed. (I promise I will buy a scale next month) until then, no weight measurements are possibly. I will see if i can solicit an opinion from M. Diamond at some point, but from your description I would say it is struck through grease...

1sgret
01-27-2009, 03:56 PM
Thanks for the info Joe!

Some of design does show through on the reverse. I wouldn't describe the rim as poorly formed. (I promise I will buy a scale next month) until then, no weight measurements are possibly. I will see if i can solicit an opinion from M. Diamond at some point, but from your description I would say it is struck through grease...

Here is one I had posted on the Forum and I also had Mike D, evaluate as I was not sure. This might help you out Jason.

http://www.lincolncentresource.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2390&highlight=Struck

jcuve
01-27-2009, 04:04 PM
Thanks Joe. I actually looked at that previous post of yours before I posted this one and I thought they looked similar.

CCC
01-27-2009, 04:17 PM
I would think that a struck thru grease is the only option on this coin. Joe has explained the definitaion of the differences so I'ts a Grease Filled Die.