PDA

View Full Version : Grading question

Roller
05-16-2013, 10:47 AM
How do grading companies handle un-exploded (not inflated) gas bubbles on a variety coin that otherwise is high MS grade? In other words how does a planchet error like that affect the grading? Do they accept such a coin at all for grading/slabbing?

coop
05-16-2013, 10:52 AM
They might, but I always steer away from such coins. The bubbles can get worse with time. Blame it on poor rinsing.

liveandievarieties
05-16-2013, 11:56 AM
I've had Zincolns that graded MS67 and MS68 that were COVERED in bubbles, literally looked like bubblewrap-

In my experience, PCGS will often grade a coin with plating bubbles high, but I've seen them hold that against the grade of the coin, same with NGC. ANACS seems to consistently downgrade coins with plating bubbles, but I've never seen one rejected for slabbing because of it.

Coinflip
05-16-2013, 01:33 PM
I consistantly see the 84 ears with bubbles graded PCGS 64,65 . funny how they don't like color but bubbles are a bigfat green light

simonm
05-16-2013, 01:35 PM
I've had Zincolns that graded MS67 and MS68 that were COVERED in bubbles, literally looked like bubblewrap-

In my experience, PCGS will often grade a coin with plating bubbles high, but I've seen them hold that against the grade of the coin, same with NGC. ANACS seems to consistently downgrade coins with plating bubbles, but I've never seen one rejected for slabbing because of it.

Just throwing this out there because it's the first thing that came to my mind...
Maybe they grade high because the bubbles distract/cover up other things like hairline scratches or contact marks that would otherwise bring the grade down?

GrumpyEd
05-16-2013, 02:18 PM
I consistantly see the 84 ears with bubbles graded PCGS 64,65 . funny how they don't like color but bubbles are a bigfat green light

I saw one at a show recently. A PCGS 66RD 84 DDO that had bubbles the size of the the ear all over it. The seller was asking full price for it and my thought was that it really took away the desirability of it. I've seen these with no bubbles and few bubbles and big bubbles. Given a choice I'd look for one with the best plating.

Roller
05-16-2013, 02:34 PM
They might, but I always steer away from such coins. The bubbles can get worse with time. Blame it on poor rinsing.
That is a concern but I think that if they have not deflated yet, the only way they will, in the future, is with continued handling and mistreatment in circulation.

liveandievarieties
05-16-2013, 06:30 PM
I agree, once encapsulated the bubbles won't deflate for not being under the pressure of friction of circulation. '83 and '84 are infamous for the blisters, check out this one I'm selling: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=181114636623&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

That coin is devoid of any detractions outside of the blisters- no contact marks or scratches. I've seen coins as or less nice in PCGS MS67 holders, no kidding- in fact I have one in my set. PCGS doesn't seem to negatively effect the grade due to blisters, simply take it at face value and assess it's grade.... weird.

BadThad
05-16-2013, 10:23 PM
For the most part, the plating blisters are considered by the graders "as struck" and they're not supposed to effect the grade. However, as seen at ANACS with Chris' coin, 63 seems harsh. I agree with his PCGS observations. In the MS grades, it mostly comes down to luster and distractions, i.e. fields, hits, spots, MAD (grades don't like it), etc.

coppercoins
05-17-2013, 04:19 AM
Badthad has it right on. These things happen WHILE the coin is struck They did not develop on the coin with time, and as long as they haven't already been damaged they will NOT grow, they will NOT spread, and they will NOT corrode. This is gas trapped under a hardened layer of copper - it's not cancer.

If one of them is burst open, you are subjecting the far less inert zinc inner core to oxygen and moisture which create zinc oxide and will corrode the coin...but that's the case with any zinc cent with core exposure through a scratch, wear, or any other cause.

As to grade - Eye appeal is what knocks the grade of these coins down some in more severe cases. They are just plain ugly and the grade should be affected by that.

Additionally, I would vote to steer away from gas bubble infected die varieties because if the gas bubbles don't inhibit viewing the attributes of the die variety themselves, they would almost certainly inhibit viewing the markers and photographing the coin up-close.