PDA

View Full Version : Shot at 68?

BadThad
05-25-2013, 10:25 PM
I'm thinking about shooting for a PCGS 68. Sorry about the pictures, I had a very tough time because the surfaces are super, super reflective. The dark areas on the reverse pillars and 4 o'c are not spotting nor toning.

GrumpyEd
05-25-2013, 11:49 PM
Do you know if it came out of a mint set?
It has that mint set look.

Maineman750
05-26-2013, 01:49 AM
I would ask BadThad, he's one of the best graders I know :bigsmile:

Amadauss
05-26-2013, 08:36 AM
That is a beautiful coin. Just went to my detailed explanation notes for an MS 68 and it seems to match what is required. Good luck.

BadThad
05-26-2013, 10:29 AM
Do you know if it came out of a mint set?
It has that mint set look.

Don't think so but I'm not sure. Just another coin laying around my desk. I need to get off my duff and take care of some of the mess. To me it looks like a biz strike on a proof planchet.

BadThad
05-26-2013, 10:30 AM
I would ask BadThad, he's one of the best graders I know :bigsmile:

HAHAHAHAHA :LOL_Hair:

Even the best need some help now and then. :bigsmile:

admrose
05-26-2013, 10:33 AM
Ooooh. Shiny.

1jackel1
05-26-2013, 11:57 AM
hi, the coin does have the proof look to it but i believe it is a business strike and i might say a very nice one at that, i would grade it an ms-67-rd all day. very nice coin. a coin worth getting graded for sure as you never know, it might grade higher.

George

GrumpyEd
05-26-2013, 02:18 PM
It is a bus strike, but I think it was probably from a mint set.
Those years from the early zinc years and later came really nice from mint sets and often had proof like surfaces and nice plating and higher rims. They stand out from the normal bus strikes you would see in bank rolls.
I'm not sure what they did but I think the planchets might have been polished differently for mint sets and maybe they used more pressure when struck, maybe someone can tell us.
I had some from mint sets that I put in tubes and it only took 48 fill a tube because of the high rims.
Interesting to see how it grades.

Added:

From the mints website:

"At the United States Mint, we use the term uncirculated when referring to the special coining process used to make the coin, which gives it a satin finish. Uncirculated coins are manufactured using the same process as circulating coins, but with quality enhancements such as slightly higher coining force, early strikes from dies, special cleaning after stamping, and special packaging. Uncirculated coins may vary to some degree because of blemishes, toning, or slight imperfections."

For a 1991 it might be the same except they weren't doing the satin finish so the coins can look proof like. They may have not really been made exactly the same as the bus strikes.

http://www.usmint.gov/about_the_mint/collectors_corner/?action=glossary

KennyMac
05-29-2013, 03:59 AM
Is there something going on at the bottom of the bays, or am hallucinating....... again?

flyhi3
05-29-2013, 06:30 AM
Is there something going on at the bottom of the bays, or am hallucinating....... again?

I see it too! Looks like a DDR to me, but it may be the pic.

I think it has a shot at 68... It is a VERY nice one Thad!