PDA

View Full Version : Lots of mabeys even more probably nots.

Neighbor
06-06-2013, 08:33 AM
1997 Denver DDO X2

Antiquity
06-06-2013, 08:40 AM
No go, looks like MD, and one took a hit. The doubled die will jump out at you when you see it. Not to mention the known doubled ear is on a 1997 P.

Steven
06-06-2013, 09:30 AM
Agreed MD...

1997P Doubled Ear link
http://www.lincolncentresource.net/forums/showthread.php?t=25134&highlight=1997+doubled

Neighbor
06-06-2013, 11:02 AM
1997 Doubled Die Cent
"Doubled Ear"
Copyright Ken Potter 2002

View of Lincoln Profile With Double Ear

Shown above are two views of the same photo of the 1997 "Double Ear" cent variety.
The top view displays all the areas of doubling highlighted in red.
The lower image shows the same image unobstructed by the highlight.

Subject:* 1997 1c Doubled Die Obverse
Variety Coin Register Number: VCR#1/DDO#1Cross References:* CONECA-DD0-001, Wexler-DD0-001, FS#1c-043
Description: This Doubled Die Obverse, often nicknamed the "Doubled Ear," displays strong doubling of the curl of hair above Lincoln’s ear and ear lobe; less obvious doubling shows on the lock of hair in front of upper ear and throughout other areas of the hair (doubling shows in a total of 15 areas).The cause is most likely due to a tilted die blank seating itself into proper position during the hubbing process -- a condition that has been confirmed as occurring by Mint workers with hands-on experience at both the Philadelphia and Denver Mints.*

Neighbor
06-06-2013, 11:06 AM
I'm just asking because this all just got very confussing. It's hardto tell iwhat any of the varieties are when all the web sites just contradict one another.

simonm
06-06-2013, 11:07 AM
Your coin is not the doubled ear. For one thing, your coin was minted in Denver. The doubled ear is on the Philadelphia. One took a hit, one is mechanical doubling.
You also should not take photos belonging to someone else and posting them without permission.

And I don't really see much contradiction between websites...

Rollem
06-06-2013, 11:45 AM
These can't be missed neighbor. If you are looking.

James

Neighbor
06-06-2013, 11:56 AM
IOt just seems as though if it's not PCGS graded and certifide its all just opinionated fact. Plus on Ken Potter's site he acknowledges the 1997 Denver variety.

simonm
06-06-2013, 12:06 PM
IOt just seems as though if it's not PCGS graded and certifide its all just opinionated fact. Plus on Ken Potter's site he acknowledges the 1997 Denver variety.

I don't undersand what you mean "if it's not PVGS gaded and certified its all just opinionated fact". We have members on this site that are attributors for coins, and the majority of us can pick out a doubled die and differentiate between mechanical doublinhg quite easily.

I also checked Wexler's site and see no mention of a 1997-D doubled ear. Please link me to the page where he references such a coin.

Neighbor
06-06-2013, 12:11 PM
1997 Doubled Die Cent
"Doubled Ear"

Shown above are two views of the same photo of the 1997 "Double Ear" cent variety.

Variety Coin Register Number: VCR#1/DDO#1Cross References:* CONECA-DD0-001, Wexler-DD0-001, FS#1c-043
Description: This Doubled Die Obverse, often nicknamed the "Doubled Ear," displays strong doubling of the curl of hair above Lincoln’s ear and ear lobe; less obvious doubling shows on the lock of hair in front of upper ear and throughout other areas of the hair (doubling shows in a total of 15 areas).The cause is most likely due to a tilted die blank seating itself into proper position during the hubbing process -- a condition that has been confirmed as occurring by Mint workers with hands-on experience at both the Philadelphia and Denver Mints.*
Attach

Antiquity
06-06-2013, 12:15 PM
I recommend you buy some reference books, read them, then buy some more.

simonm
06-06-2013, 12:17 PM
1997 Doubled Die Cent
"Doubled Ear"

Attach

Read it again, carefully. That doesn't mean that there is a doubled die for Denver. It means that a "tilted die blank seating itself into the proper position" has been confirmed a confirmed occurrence at both mints. It doesn't mean that the doubled ear occurred in Denver as well.

Neighbor
06-06-2013, 12:34 PM
Its right there in black and white my friend, and yes I know the leaders in coin varities are here and I not calling anyone's statements about what does exsist but who is to say that the other varities that are found often enough don't. Now my picturs are very good to say to least but I know that the first 1997 D I posted is a perfect match to the picture posted on Kens site of the 1997 Philly. Look I have asked others what thought and thats way Im being so stuborn about this, and I'm sorry for comming off like a jurk, so If you can send me an adress I will send it to you to look at if you would. I beleave in the honorsystem and know that we can be gentelmen in this matter. Who knows I might have something and if not oh well, I've been wrong before and I can exsept it, and again Im not trying sell anything to anyone this isn't about getting rich , I just feel strongly that this one is just like that one, ok?

Neighbor
06-06-2013, 12:40 PM
No you are right and I was mistaken, wrong if you want but in the same sentace it has the same chace it could have happend. right?

Neighbor
06-06-2013, 12:49 PM
Hay I didn't came in here calling all of you liers and telling you that anything that any of you have found wasn't what you beleaved it to be! I would think I diserve the exsact some respect, you stand behind what it is you beleave to be true and so will I. Prove me wrong and I can except that.

enamel7
06-06-2013, 12:50 PM
No, your coin isn't an exact match to the 97 on his site. I can't for the life of me see why you think it is. Please take the advice of the experts on this site.
HH
enamel7

simonm
06-06-2013, 12:55 PM
Hay I didn't came in here calling all of you liers and telling you that anything that any of you have found wasn't what you beleaved it to be! I would think I diserve the exsact some respect, you stand behind what it is you beleave to be true and so will I. Prove me wrong and I can except that.

No one is disrespecting you. But we have our opinions on thencoin, and you have yours. We won't tell you it's a doubled die because you want it to be. We are giving accurate opinions on the coin based on the pictures provided. No one is calling you a liar. You asked for opinions and we gave them to you.

Neighbor
06-06-2013, 01:09 PM
Took it out and took more pictures

simonm
06-06-2013, 01:11 PM
From the clearer pictures, it is more obvious that the coin took a hit to he ear. Sorry, your coin is not a doubled die.

Neighbor
06-06-2013, 01:11 PM
Thank you thats good with me

coop
06-06-2013, 01:15 PM
The size of the ear is normal. On the doubled ear, the lobe is a lot larger:
http://imgs.inkfrog.com/pix/coop49/1997p1do001_coppercoins_com.jpg
On your coin the earlobe is reduced from contact.

Neighbor
06-06-2013, 01:17 PM
Thats the way the coin has been minted, please send a p.o. box numder and you can see that it might not be a double die but that this coin left the mint this way

Antiquity
06-06-2013, 01:21 PM
It will cost you $3 and shipping for someone to tell you its worthless.

Neighbor
06-06-2013, 01:22 PM
the earlobes are identical man no one sees that, its as dig as day

Antiquity
06-06-2013, 01:23 PM
It's not worth the effort, believe what you want, you have been told what it is. I must now ignore you.

Neighbor
06-06-2013, 01:25 PM
where do I send it, if don't mind?

Jacob
06-06-2013, 01:44 PM
Neighbor your coin took a hit plain and simple. Its a post mint damage and not even close to looking like the 1DO-001. Just accept it and spend it.

Maineman750
06-06-2013, 01:45 PM
where do I send it, if don't mind?

I would suggest Robert (B.J.)Neff, info is right here http://www.coppercoins.com/attribution.php

enamel7
06-06-2013, 01:57 PM
Look at my avatar. It's not that it is bigger, it's that it is "doubled". Larger lobe can happen due to a variety of reasons, not just doubling.

mustbebob
06-06-2013, 02:53 PM
Would it make any difference if 'I' told you it wasn't a doubled ear? I am a Lincoln Cent attributer for coppercoins.com. It has been said many times that this is not a doubled die. It has also been said many times that the doubling must be exact to be a doubled die. I have no problems with what anyone here has told you. Just because the possibility exists that a doubled die can be made at any mint, does not mean it happens that way.
You are not making it easy on yourself, or anyone else here. People are trying to save you the attribution fees, but if you definitely insist on losing your money (which of course is your prerogative), I will be happy to examine the coin for you. attribution guidelines are listed here: http://www.coppercoins.com/attribution.php
You also have the option of scheduling an exam by Mr Wexler or Dr Wiles. I can guarantee that you do NOT have a doubled die here.

Amadauss
06-06-2013, 04:03 PM
Neighbor, don't take some of the responses the wrong way. After you posted, you received two responses from two very knowledgeable folks here about what your coin shows it to really be. Should have been the end of the conversation or thread but you responded with some copyrighted photos which is a big no no here and everywhere with the way people today are trying to show and sell coins using someone elses photo and not showing their own coin.

The outcome you are hoping for after the first two responses is getting a different response. Believe me, I have been there and taken pictures moving the light around to make the coin look like a double Die or anything else and then would keep trying to persuade people to say what I want to hear. That will not happen here. Just the facts of what you really have along with in most cases a brief discription of why. So, if you get a response from a very well versed member or a moderator as you did, you can take it to the bank what they say is true. Good luck in your future searches and take the time to go through the forums. You will learn a great deal.

Brad
06-06-2013, 05:33 PM
I guess I can give my opinion too. That is a hit on the ear, not a doubled die. Sending it to anyone would be a waste.

pennies4pennies
06-06-2013, 06:42 PM
Yes it is very clear the ear took a hit. Look at the straight line on the bottom.

willbrooks
06-06-2013, 07:08 PM
It's damage. The ear lobe sustained a hit.

liveandievarieties
06-06-2013, 07:34 PM
I think it's a HIT! Not the coin, the thread. This one BLEW UP!

jfines69
06-07-2013, 04:54 AM
To me pic 7 shows the hit really good... Pic 10 shows die wear and some MD... The other pics are to blurry for me!!!

GrumpyEd
06-07-2013, 12:58 PM
It's a hit and what people said is correct.

The only thing I can add is that some doubled dies are very easy to see. Others are not as easy to see.
The 97 ear is not easy to see for someone learning about doubled dies.

In the older CPG even FS (the authors of one of the most trusted books on varieties) said they don't think it's a doubled die.
I think Ken put the image you posted on his site that highlights that it is not only a chip on the lobe and it shows around it in the hair to show why he thought it's a doubled die.

jcuve
06-07-2013, 01:56 PM
It might be worth keeping only because it is a classic example of what a hit to the coin on the ear will look like. Keep hunting and eventually you'll find another hit just like this one. Keep hunting more and maybe you'll find one of the big doubled ear examples. Good luck.