PDA

View Full Version : Lost in the Black Forest Fire

JC Stevens
06-14-2013, 04:04 PM
A couple of years ago I had lunch with a man I use to work with before I retired. He knew I collect coins and said I have something for you and handed me a hand full of wheat cents. The next time we had lunch I gave him in return one of the coins from my collection. It was a simple 1951-D that I pulled from my BIE album.

That coin was lost for ever in the Black Forest Fire in Colorado that started this week. The man who was out of the country at the time lost his home in the fire.

I had emailed him Tuesday just after the fire started and told him about the fire. The return email said not to worry the fire was about five miles Northwest of his house. Later in the day I called his wife to check on her and to tell her the fire was heading her way and to ask if she want help. She no that she didn't think it would make it that far, but had put some pictures and important papers in the car just in case. An later from my scanner I could tell things were getting bad. I called the lady back to tell her to leave NOW!! She said was leaving and the Sheriff had just pull down her driveway and told her to get out. It was 5 hours later before I found out she made it out ok with her two cats and the other items in her car. That all she was able to save. They lost everything.

Next week I hope to meet with him over lunch and replace one of the things they lost with this BIE.

6/15/2013 Added Link to fire images from Denver Post Newspaper.

http://photos.denverpost.com/2013/06/12/photos-aerial-photos-of-the-black-forest-fire/#1

koinmon
06-14-2013, 04:25 PM
Terrible fire one of many burning there now. Even something to hold onto is better than nothing. Hope financial aid flows quickly to those who have lost their homes.
George

mustbebob
06-14-2013, 04:48 PM
It is terrible indeed. You can't take chances with a wildfire. They are stronger and faster than most people think. I am glad she is safe though.

GrumpyEd
06-14-2013, 05:13 PM
That is a destructive fire.
Glad she got out safely, most other stuff can be replaced.

I suppose there are a lot of coins lost over history in fires, some get found someday be metal detectors.

admrose
06-14-2013, 06:39 PM
That is a destructive fire.
Glad she got out safely, most other stuff can be replaced.

I suppose there are a lot of coins lost over history in fires, some get found someday be metal detectors.

According to wildfiretoday.com:

An average surface fire on the forest floor might have flames reaching 1 metre in height and can reach temperatures of 800°C (1,472°F) or more. Under extreme conditions a fire can give off 10,000 kilowatts or more per metre of fire front. This would mean flame heights of 50 metres or more and flame temperatures exceeding 1200°C (2,192°F).

Being copper, it'll likely get charred and deformed (due to the tin inside melting) but it will most likely survive. I wish the rest of the world was as durable as copper. Wishing them the best.