PDA

View Full Version : New search method.

Roller
06-15-2013, 02:27 PM
Started a new method a few weeks back. I picked up the magnifying lamp at a garage sale but found the 3 diopter reading magnifier inadequate for examining coins so I ordered a 5 diopter (1.75 magnification) and that works just fine for general culling or undesirables. But I needed an intense magnifier spot magnifier to determine certain varieties like the rdv 006 and some ears so I dismantled one of my old rifle scopes and glued the eye piece to the underside of the magnifier lamp (picture #2). Don't know what power it is but it's just right for zooming in on problem coins with possibilities.
So, I can readily identify cams and wams; coins with possibilities; ms grade or thereabouts coins; coppers; and zincs from the palm of one hand and toss them into their respective bins. The ones I now save for the microscope make up about a quarter of the number I used to look at under the scope. I can go through a $50 bag in a few hours and have an other hour or so under the scope for the ones I saved. In this way I have caught up with my Publix bags and can keep up with one or two bags a week. I really like this set up for bulk searching and thought I'd share the experience.

seal006
06-15-2013, 02:36 PM
Way cool. I like the ideas that are starting to pop up here on LCR. As we all seem to be getting older, we are learning to adapt so we can continue to enjoy the hobby we all love. Keep the ideas rolling folks.

jnesbitt82
06-15-2013, 02:49 PM
Looks good. The only problem you will have now is running out of coins to search. We may have to increase your quota. :xd:

GrumpyEd
06-15-2013, 03:02 PM
Those are good, just be careful not to bump into it. I had one of those and a few times got careless and "whack". :O

liveandievarieties
06-15-2013, 03:22 PM
That's really strange... someone else posted their magnifying lamp a few minutes ago, and we just picked one up in the antique/vendor mall we're in. Ours is brushed stainless with a glass lens, quite nice and like new- it was $12. Anyone have any idea what that would sell for new? I don't just curious.

One day when I've got some spare time I'll share our sorting method. It's highly involved and intricate, but Charity has helped to work it down to an exact science, we have stock boxes for every year and mint of Lincolns, sorting boxes for decade and mint and the kids sort out the S-mints in a pre-screening. Methods are a lot of fun when they increase productivity of what we all know can be so monotonous!

jnesbitt82
06-15-2013, 03:34 PM
That's really strange... someone else posted their magnifying lamp a few minutes ago, and we just picked one up in the antique/vendor mall we're in. Ours is brushed stainless with a glass lens, quite nice and like new- it was $12. Anyone have any idea what that would sell for new? I don't just curious.

One day when I've got some spare time I'll share our sorting method. It's highly involved and intricate, but Charity has helped to work it down to an exact science, we have stock boxes for every year and mint of Lincolns, sorting boxes for decade and mint and the kids sort out the S-mints in a pre-screening. Methods are a lot of fun when they increase productivity of what we all know can be so monotonous!

I found this one for you to compare to.
http://www.rakuten.com/prod/magnify-lite-magnifier-lamp-with-clamp-in-polished-steel/203207812.html

When you get a chance, give us a break down of you system. I'm always looking for way to improve my searching.

Roller
06-15-2013, 03:40 PM
Mine is a Dazor, $350-400 new. I picked it up for $50 then spent an other $50 for the 5 diopter glass. Then, of course, I had to have the 22 watt full spectrum fluorescent light (it's easier on the eyes,don't you know:LOL_Hair:) for an other $16. Hell, I don't go to bars any more so I spend less for drinks. What the heck. If it makes you feel good it has to be OK. All kidding aside, I think it important to create as much comfort as possible to keep the ball rolling.

liveandievarieties
06-15-2013, 04:33 PM
I found this one for you to compare to.
http://www.rakuten.com/prod/magnify-lite-magnifier-lamp-with-clamp-in-polished-steel/203207812.html

Holy Cow, that IS our lamp! Nice, even nicer for $12!

liveandievarieties
06-15-2013, 04:38 PM
Hell, I don't go to bars any more so I spend less for drinks. What the heck. If it makes you feel good it has to be OK. All kidding aside, I think it important to create as much comfort as possible to keep the ball rolling.

Here, here! Our pool table has saved us probably over $6,000 in the last 14 months, no joke. Not that we drink so often, but when you go out you KNOW how it ads up, drinks, games, jukebox, taxi home, babysitter....

As far as keeping the ball rolling, that's a funny thing- when you get on a roll it's amazing what comes. In the last 2 days we have completely reinvented our office, about 2/3 of the way done. Hoping to achieve flow and continuity in our work!

Maineman750
06-15-2013, 04:45 PM
And here I've gone in the opposite direction. I use to go thru as many cents as possible using may of the methods described here.
After my accident, I had to slow down so I used a loupe and went one at a time. Now, it seems I find more of the not so obvious stuff and I'm more relaxed without goals to get thru a certain amount of coins.

seal006
06-15-2013, 04:48 PM

I think it is great you have got the whole family involved. My sons were always too busy with sports and girls to take an interest, not for a lack of trying, I assure you. As for my wife, she has no desire to do it at all. She tells me every time I try to share a find with her, "That's nice honey, you have your interest, and I have mine."

Roller
06-15-2013, 05:52 PM
And here I've gone in the opposite direction. I use to go thru as many cents as possible using may of the methods described here.
After my accident, I had to slow down so I used a loupe and went one at a time. Now, it seems I find more of the not so obvious stuff and I'm more relaxed without goals to get thru a certain amount of coins.
No doubt you miss some by mine method but you go through a lot more and that increases the odds, as I'm thinking. There are certain dates and marks that I put in the bin to look at more closely under the microscope, regardless of condition like the 72s. I don't think I'm missing much and the coins I do garner are of a good condition. Anyway, if I let a bag go and not pick it up, I'm missing 5000 coins. That's worse than missing a few minor varieties. Just my humble.

Maineman750
06-15-2013, 06:02 PM
Anyway, if I let a bag go and not pick it up, I'm missing 5000 coins. That's worse than missing a few minor varieties.

Oh I understand..it's just that I decided the stress of hurrying isn't an enjoyable or healthy aspect...and the fact that I have an endless supply would mean I could never sleep if I worried about missing all the bags they sent to the Fed.:LOL_Hair:

Antiquity
06-15-2013, 07:20 PM
I am with Roger on this one, slow and steady and relaxed. Of course this is just a hobby for me, for a lot of you its a business as well.

jhcons
06-15-2013, 07:53 PM
I too use a loupe most of the time as I always looking through rolls. Not much circulated. But when I am set up at scope I used chucks idea I saw somewhere. I have 2 1x2's with a 1/8" groove out of the middle. It holds 25 coins. After I slide it under scope I stack other one on top and flip it to look at reverse. Takes longer to load coins all in same direction than to look. Then they slide right into tube. Entire process for a roll takes about 3 minutes. Unless u bump your slide and they go all over. Lol.

ray_parkhurst
06-15-2013, 08:03 PM
You have to find a setup and method that works for you, and it might even be different depending on what you're looking at. I've used a stereo microscope for many years, and it allows me to go through coins very quickly and even find new stuff, but it is useless for grading. Recently I have put photographing into the flow, and am still not fully integrated so that it's easy to search lots of coins and then take photos of certain ones without reconfiguring things.

Roller
06-16-2013, 04:47 AM
I am with Roger on this one, slow and steady and relaxed. Of course this is just a hobby for me, for a lot of you its a business as well.
I haven't quit my day job either and probably never will, completely, however, my intention is to view as many coins as I can in the shortest period of time. This is not to say I'm rushed or anxious I just like it that way. A new bag or brick is new excitement when I cut or pop it open. Sitting on the floor, its just a bag of pennies and that does nothing for me.