PDA

View Full Version : 1922D for sale on eBay.

papascoins
06-21-2013, 05:47 PM
Not my coin. Not my store. Just wanted to give some FYI, (if I am correct), about this 1922D Cent, here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/290932809910?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1431.l2649

The coin listed here is a 1922 D that has a die crack that 'overlay' matches the one on LCR 1922D Variety Page here:
http://www.lincolncentresource.com/1922Ddievarieties.html

This 'straight' Die-Crack on this eBay coin matches the one pictured on LCR (which is not the Die-pair #1 with the 'Jogging' Die-crack.)
Anyone wanting to add to this thread or correct anything, please feel free!

Thanks.

Maineman750
06-21-2013, 05:55 PM
You are correct about the die crack..but I'm not sure what you are alluding to. It is listed correctly as a 1922-D,not a plain or weak D.

papascoins
06-21-2013, 08:14 PM
You are correct about the die crack..but I'm not sure what you are alluding to. It is listed correctly as a 1922-D,not a plain or weak D.

I am not alluding to the fact that everything on ebay is a scam. I was just pointing out some facts to some beginners here. For one, that this coin is from a known reverse die. And that the die is the one with the 'straight' die-crack, a 1922-D cent without a missing or 'weak' D. And also, that I did an overlay just to say that it matches the pic on LCR of that die with the 'straight' die-crack.
Sorry, I guess I wasn't being clear on my point.

Thanks.

BadThad
06-22-2013, 02:34 PM
Not a rare variety or anything, but I have collected the various die cracks. Brad sold me one with all 3 die cracks some years ago....they are fun to collect.

liveandievarieties
06-22-2013, 03:26 PM
I'm aware of this reverse die, I'd noted in the past that it was very similar to the reverse crack of the Weak/No D for die #1, but I'd never done an overlay.

While it's possible that the reverse die was paired with more than one die (even likely), I believe that that reverse crack is found on ALL examples of Die #1, which would suggest that a cracked die lasted long enough to strike a great many coins from one die, then an even greater number from being paired with a second die.

I say this because I too have several examples of this die crack. The '22-D in my personal set is MS64RB and has the same die crack, and I've observed the same crack on a great many regular '22-D cents too.

I'm not insisting it's definitely the same crack or is not. Just that if you consider the factors involved, it's extremely unlikely for a cracked die to have that long of a life.

Is it just as unlikely that two separate reverse dies cracked in precisely the same exact pattern? Probably. I don't have all the answers, just sharing my own observances.

Maineman750
06-22-2013, 05:39 PM
I'm aware of this reverse die, I'd noted in the past that it was very similar to the reverse crack of the Weak/No D for die #1, but I'd never done an overlay.

It is definitely not the same die crack as the weak/no D..no overlay needed.

liveandievarieties
06-23-2013, 12:32 AM
The coin listed here is a 1922 D that has a die crack that 'overlay' matches the one on LCR 1922D Variety Page here:
http://www.lincolncentresource.com/1922Ddievarieties.html

I took the OP to mean that it was.

papascoins
07-04-2013, 02:43 PM
I took the OP to mean that it was.

Chris. In my original post, I said that the crack matches the pic on LCR of the coin that 'isn't' the weak D die.

liveandievarieties
07-04-2013, 06:33 PM
Sorry, completely my confusion and mistake!