PDA

View Full Version : 1947-S cent

joeyuk
01-31-2009, 08:32 AM
I was wondering if this would be considered a lamination error. I found it in a bucket of cents my family put away a long time ago.
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j220/joeyuk/Laminationerror.jpg

kloccwork419
01-31-2009, 08:38 AM
Wow. I never seen anything like this one. Looks like it was broke before strike.. I dont know..Im sure someone will tell ya!

JeanK
01-31-2009, 09:54 AM
Hey Joey,

I checked through my reference book ""The Error Coin Encyclopedia" by Margolis and Weinberg. The closest looking picture I could find is called an 'Indent Error'.
Simply put, after a previous jam caused by other blanks, two blanks are fed inadvertently into the same collar, likely having one blank overlay the other. When the hammer die strikes the combinaton the upper blank will be driven into the lower blank creating a depression which is roughly like the upper blank.

That is the best I can do from the pictures I studied in the book.
By the way, this is a wonderful book for us error and variety searches to have in our library. I searched the internet until I found a shop with a copy which I purchased.

Someone else should pop in and let you know for certain what it is. Keep in mind the book says these are one of a kind error as the odds are highly against having to alike.

Jean

fugnchill
01-31-2009, 10:27 AM
Hi Everyone,

I thought I would contribute to this thread also. I'm leaning toward split planchet/lamination error. The very first thought that popped into my head when I looked at the first pic was a rim burr but then looking at the second pic pretty much omits that idea. I was reading about indented strikes the other day in my encyclopedia and if I remember correctly, the affected area should be somewhat expanded (no collar to contain metal flow).
I don't know if a lamination peel can effect the edge of the coin also. If we could see the reverse, it might show us something else to help diagnose.
I'm curious to see what the pros have to say.

Lestrrr

1sgret
01-31-2009, 10:37 AM
I think you 2nd picture is deceptive. I believe you have a rim burr. It looks as though it is displaced metal from the upset rim. Is there any raised metal on the part that is pushed over?

You may also have a detached rim and in that case the metal would not be flush with the surface of the coin. It could have been done after the striking process.