PDA

View Full Version : Coppercoins.com question

onecent1909
06-30-2013, 12:38 PM
I know this would be a big undertaking...
but I noticed coppercoins has no way of looking at...rdv varieties... wam/cam/ 88 reverse...
I know if I have a question on ddo/ddr/rpm/omm/etc I turn to CC and my books...
LCR has a nice section on the wams and cams...
has there been any thought into logging these in a database for CC and putting them online when the time comes available?

mustbebob
06-30-2013, 12:41 PM
Simple answer. Coppercoins does not list RDVs, WAMs, CAMs, etc. We only list varieties such as doubled dies and RPMs. In the future, we do plan on listing them, but that will not be until the new site is on line. We currently hove no time table for that.

onecent1909
06-30-2013, 01:07 PM
That is what I thought... I know that the ddo/ddrs take a lot of time and patience... and the rpm's...wow...
it just popped up in my head...
Thanks

admrose
06-30-2013, 01:30 PM
I think that LCR has pretty good write-ups on the important ones.

mustbebob
06-30-2013, 03:12 PM
That is what I thought... I know that the ddo/ddrs take a lot of time and patience... and the rpm's...wow..

Actually, it is a little more than just that. When Chuck started the site, the database was designed for the numbering system we currently use. In order to add these other types of anomalies, a little reprogramming is in order. That would include what exactly would we be willing to list? What would be a good way to number and identify these things so that we can still access them through the search engine. They would technically not be known as varieties as we list them.
Chuck and I have discussed this over the years, and it will happen. Until then, I feel there is plenty of info available on them on LCR, at Variety Vista and on Wexler's site. That's what I use to identify them too!

coppercoins
07-01-2013, 06:23 AM
What Bob said...except that all the varieties you mentioned are just that - varieties. Doubled dies, repunched mintmarks, over mintmarks, repunched dates, and over dates are ALL "die varieties" - very similar terms, very different things.

The RDV varieties and wide or close-AM varieties are all intended changes to a design that make pinpointing the exact die that created them very difficult, because there is nothing about them (other than markers, perhaps) that make each die unique. Additionally, when creating a catalot I am an all or none type of person - I don't believe in just listing the popular - I believe in listing everything that fits the subject, which raises its own problem...

Small dates / Large dates and mintmark styles are also 'varieties' and fit into the same category as the RDV changes and Close/Wide AM coins. They are ALL intended design changes that were not necessarily meant to be noticed and affected coins of a single given issue.

So the question comes up, "How do you list a variety in a system intended for individual dies, and cover the entire subject comprehensively?"

There might be only one die that created all the 1992D Close AM reverses....but there are indeed hundreds that made all the 1960 small date coins, and nobody cares about over half of them as individual dies. The work would be monumental and would serve nobody.

So then we get into listing them as a "type" rather than by die. That would naturally leave them out of a "die" search and out of the "die" listing system, because to be listed as a die, they would have to have markers listed.

Best thing I can think of is to list them as notes in the date guide and create a separate way of searching for them than taking up space in a search system where they do not belong.

I have given this years - literally YEARS - of thought, and have not come up with a definitive answer as to what I will do when I come to that bridge. I refuse to try listing varieties by die, and cannot - for the moment - figure out how to catalog them so they can be searched with the existing "die" system.

Therein lies the huge, cavernous, massive difference between "die varieties" and "varieties" that so many people tend to use interchangeably. A computer database can immediately tell you the difference, because the data kept for each is totally different and cannot be searched the same way. Once again, the difference by definition:

Die variety - Duplication of design features of some part of a coin created on the die (usually during the die making process) that are mostly unintended (some over dates were intentional) and miss the quality control at the Mint. They include doubled dies, repunched mintmarks, over mintmarks, repunched dates, and over dates.

Variety - An intended design change that may or may not belong on a particular issue creating two or more detectable "differences" in the design within that given issue. Does NOT involve "doubling" of the design.

Now...there IS one type of die variety that involves a variety. The large over small date (or vice versa) doubled dies, listed as class 3 "design hub doubling" are rather scarce in number, but exhibit doubling created by hubbing one die with two different variety designs.

I hope this helps.

coppercoins
07-01-2013, 06:28 AM
On another note:

Coppercoins.com is currently undergoing a re-structure in a secret area of the server. A new website is being developed from scratch that - when complete - will blow away the current website hands-down. This involves totally new graphics, new data structure, and a completely new set of functions and features along with those you already know.

I have no deadline to complete the new version, but expect that at current pace I can have it released by Christmas this year. This is considering it rolls along at the pace I am going now.

onecent1909
07-01-2013, 03:19 PM
Coppercoins.com is currently undergoing a re-structure in a secret area of the server. A new website is being developed from scratch that - when complete - will blow away the current website hands-down. This involves totally new graphics, new data structure, and a completely new set of functions and features along with those you already know.

WOW... coppercoins.com a most amazing site...to make it more amazing.... would be....amazing!!
Thank you for the info and the fact that you have thought about it.....

everything you guys do is unavailable... listing what you have already.....I really don't know how you do it...

Thank You...