PDA

View Full Version : Need some input

Roller
07-07-2013, 02:11 PM
Went to the regional coin show today and wound up buying a set of coins "Lincoln Cents, 1935". The dates 1935 to 1958 (no 36 S) but all others appear to be represented. I bought it mainly because I thought it had a 1946 inverted S in it but now I don't think so. All but a few coins are in BU (red) condition, some beginning to tone quite nicely. The coins are sandwiched between two sheets of plexiglass held together with plastic screws (apparently permanently locked). The coins are seated in individual holes in what looks to be starboard material.
One question is: how badly did I over pay for this at $120; the other, since it is a pain to try to examine the coins in the casing, would you remove them and store them in some other fashion?
I feel like I made a mistake here but even at this price, the lesson is worth it. (I suppose.)
Thanks for any input.
Actually, the '36 S is also included. Missed seeing it somehow.

GrumpyEd
07-07-2013, 02:31 PM
I think it really depends on the coins, most of the value is in the better dates.
I'd base the value as a few bucks for each of the pre 40 coins if they're really red and average 63ish coins.
Then look closer at the 35-s 36-D 41-s 42-s 43-s. Most of the other stuff is pretty cheap.
If there's one high grade or variety it could be good but for the most part deals like this don't turn out great.

Roller
07-09-2013, 07:27 AM
Thanks for the response Ed. I'm of the mind that having the "set" in this casing is probably no additional value, in other words, the sum of the parts is worth as much as the whole, in any event. I'm inclined to take the set apart, probably having to destroy the fasteners in the process. I just can't abide not being able to place each coin under the scope (which I now cannot do because of the size of the plaque). Or would I do better to put it on the bay, as is, and try to get my money back?

admrose
07-09-2013, 07:45 AM
Hope you get lucky and find a variety in there or that at least one of the better dates is 63+.

Roller
07-09-2013, 08:04 AM
Hope you get lucky and find a variety in there or that at least one of the better dates is 63+.
I think I have better than MS 63 on quite a few of the coins. I see something on the '46S (the reason I bought this thing in the first place)that I would love to examine under the scope but I cannot get it there without taking the case apart.

copperlover
07-09-2013, 08:20 AM
Five of those should be able to give you at least half of your money back and the rest should cover your total cost so I would look at them all but you might just get lucky and find one solid coin in the lot.

Lucien

GrumpyEd
07-09-2013, 02:38 PM
You can probably drill out the fasteners if they don't unscrew, look close because most of those can be unscrewed. If you need to destroy them you might find some screws that work or even find some of the plastic ones that are used in most of those holders. To the right person those holders have some value. You could put the same coins back or swap them out with others, I think a nice even brown set would look nice in that sort of holder.