PDA

View Full Version : Who here likes the reverse design?

simonm
07-08-2013, 07:47 PM
Hi folks,

Let's get a little discussion going here. Who here likes the reverse design for the Lincoln Cent? Not taking into account how frequently reverse doubled dies are found on them or how visible the DDRs are, who likes the artistic nature of the design?
I personally don't find it very appealing. It seems very plain, and I find it tough to look at. It just doesn't resonate with me. I would even prefer the IHC reverse to the current one.
So...2 questions.

1) Do you like the current reverse? Why or why not?

2) If not, what is a reverse design you could imagine being on the back of the current cent? It could be a reverse design from the past, or you can suggest a new one yourself.

Simon

Antiquity
07-08-2013, 08:06 PM
(1) I like what the shield symbolizes, I just don't think it works on the Lincoln cent. The reverse is just way to open an empty, devoid of anything that catches your eye. The same can be said for the obverse, they now lack any detail what so ever.

(2) I would have preferred sticking with the memorial reverse.

jhcons
07-08-2013, 08:14 PM
I have not even looked at the reverse yet under a scope or loupe. Heck I was not even aware that there were that many doubled dies. I just cant get into the new stuff for some reason. And I have a bunch of rolls to. I tried looking at the 2009 years for varieties but dont like looking at them I guess. Here is another good reverse

http://www.lincolncentresource.net/forums/picture.php?albumid=602&pictureid=7402

jnesbitt82
07-08-2013, 08:14 PM
Agreed. It's just to plain and simple. Especially after the detail involved on the 2009 cents.

willbrooks
07-08-2013, 08:18 PM
I love the memorial reverse. The wheat reverse absolutely stinks from an artistic, aesthetic, appealing nature. I hate it. The only thing I have ever seen that I hate more than that is... you guessed it... the shield reverse. They made those 4 BEAUTIFUL 2009 reverses and in 2010 decided to roll with the shield? I don't get it. It stinks.

admrose
07-08-2013, 08:20 PM
I'd have preferred going back to the wheat design for the reverse. Let's face it; the cent has never been known for artistically pleasing designs on the reverse. They've all pretty much been minor redesigns of the reverse of the Chain cent. At the least the wheatie was kind of a timeless design that everyone knows and broke with 116 years of the same basic design. I don't care if you're a numismatist or not; everyone loves finding a wheatie.

ray_parkhurst
07-08-2013, 08:28 PM
I am not fond of the Memorial reverse, and never have been. I suppose it was the result of growing up with it, while the Wheat reverse was old and collectible. The Wheat reverse itself was IMO an inspired symbolic design, and had the advantage of not placing high relief opposite high relief on the obverse.

I am more fond of the Shield reverse than either the Wheat or Memorial. I find the symbolism current and relevant for our times, and the design is inspired yet subtle. When I first saw it, I almost cried because it could have been such a horrible mess if the design had been a poor one. I am proud to receive and to spend the new Cents.

jcuve
07-08-2013, 08:42 PM
The shield design is ok. I think it worked better as a line drawing, but was not worked out in relief optimally. I think the fault lies in the way the Mint goes about design creation versus the way they used to go about it where a sculpture/engraver designed the coins and had a better grasp of how it would look as a coin. I think the wheat design translates into the best Lincoln design when looking at a struck coin in person. The memorial reverse is a little congested, so I think the openness of the shield design is better.

If it was up to me, I would find a way to introduce some fine lines into ever other shield stripe and maybe tinker with the 3 dimensional aspects of the ribbon. I will note that the new design could have been far worse IMO.

Jacob
07-08-2013, 09:22 PM
I dont care for the shield cent much. I call it the lazy cent for it seems the Mint didnt want to put much effort in the design. I personally like the memorials the best for it represents the coin the best. I still think the mint could do better with a reverse with more meaning to represent Abe. I think the best way to represent Abe is the Unification of North and South, Freedom of slavery, and Gettysburg address all combined in one for the reverse.

GrumpyEd
07-08-2013, 11:57 PM
I like it less than the wheat reverse.
I like it better than the memorial reverse but only because it's sort of a retro style.

I do think that it's too simple and open.

jps23
07-09-2013, 03:33 AM
It looks like a cartoon logo. And every time I see it, I'm drawn towards the designer initials, which look like the little TM symbol.

copperlover
07-09-2013, 01:00 PM
I think that the shield reverse is refreshing. The old shield cents were too hard but now that these cents are made mainly of zinc the metal is too fragile for them to survive for many years. There are too many areas for contact but the design is great.

Lucien

Magers
07-09-2013, 01:07 PM
I'm not a big fan of the shield reverse. I think its too plain and not very apealing to the eye. I do however appreciate the symbolism. I just wish it had a more artistic element added to it ie: a wreath or an eagle.

busyeye
07-09-2013, 02:57 PM
I much prefer the wheat & Memorial reverse. I find the sheild boring or just not appealing and just can not adjust to it. Didn't mind at all the change for 2009. But the sheild is just not intricate enough.

BadThad
07-09-2013, 03:45 PM
I hate the shield. It's just too bland and boring for me.

The proposed designs included some awesome ideas, I recall an eagle....that would have been COOL.

penny man
07-13-2013, 10:23 PM
Ugh. The word I would use is "dead." It seems that the mint put no effort into the design; kind of like modern "art," put down a bunch of random stuff and make people pay through the nose for whatever comes out. (see prices for proof and mint sets, or anything else the mint sells these days.) Also, the relief is too low.

jfines69
07-14-2013, 05:00 AM
The sheild design is ok but kind of bland!!!
Maybe a design that incorporates a wheat stalk, Memorial and a shield would look better... That would be lots to look at and more chances for the mint to create errors... LOL!!!