PDA

View Full Version : Plating lesions

Roller
07-23-2013, 10:42 AM
I'm curious about how plating leisons effect the grading of a coin (LMC). In cases where the coin shows no wear and is MS, these would appear to have occured at the mint (as a result of the strike pressures?) Are they discounted/ignored as unopened blisters are?

jallengomez
07-23-2013, 11:36 AM
I've seen 69's in PCGS slabs that had plating issues. They might hold off on 70 because of it, but up until that point I haven't seen that it makes a difference.

Maineman750
07-23-2013, 11:37 AM
Here is Chris' answer on your 95 DDO :
"Generally, split plating doesn't affect a grade, as that is how it came off the die press. Technically, grading should pertain to what has occurred to the coin AFTER minting."

Roller
07-23-2013, 11:46 AM
Here is Chris' answer on your 95 DDO :
"Generally, split plating doesn't affect a grade, as that is how it came off the die press. Technically, grading should pertain to what has occurred to the coin AFTER minting."
Thanks Roger. I noted that after this post.

coppercoins
07-23-2013, 11:51 AM
One place where plating issues will definitely have an affect on grade is when the split is beginning to corrode due to environmental issues. They may refuse to grade altogether in that case because the coin is destined to rot once corrosion begins to set in on the exposed zinc.