PDA

View Full Version : Crash course on wheats

Roller
07-24-2013, 08:37 AM
Wheats are more a weak spot with me than Memorials. In fact, I have a hard time with them in general, usually because of the wear on most. Anyway, it appears that I have unlimited access to examine coins (wheats and others) at a local coin shop. They will even sell me bulk wheats at 3.5 cents and buy them back for 3 cents after I search them. I need a crash course on the more obscure/rare coins and varieties to look for. The guys at the shop know enought to pull key dates and obvious doubleds and errors but candidly admit that they don't search beyond the obvious and sometimes they don't search at all. Any source other than CC and possibly Wexler for a concise collection of oddities that would escape casual examination but are worthwile to look for? Some of you guys/gals are quite accommodating and generous with your time and knowledge and a short list from you would also be appreciated. I am OK with RPMs so those need not be included. Thanks for responses.

admrose
07-24-2013, 09:06 AM
Years with valuable DDO's:

1909 VDB

coppercoins
07-24-2013, 10:04 AM
We should get together some time. I actually spent the night in your town a couple of weeks ago at the Super 8 behind Denny's off the highway. I actually thought about calling you so we could meet in person, but it was short notice and I didn't want to impose.

We should plan a meeting some time. I can give you the skinny on wheat cents.

Roller
07-24-2013, 10:14 AM
We should get together some time. I actually spent the night in your town a couple of weeks ago at the Super 8 behind Denny's off the highway. I actually thought about calling you so we could meet in person, but it was short notice and I didn't want to impose.

I would like that Chuck. Don't worry about imposing the next time you are here. I would enjoy a chat in person.

Vickilynn
07-24-2013, 10:21 AM
I want the the skinny on wheats !!! What do you think of Maine this time of year?? Can I bribe you with a twin Lobster Dinner ? :D

Vickilynn

simonm
07-24-2013, 10:36 AM
Can't get much better than that, George (both the deal with the shop and who is giving you the crash course)! Let us know how it goes.

Roller
07-24-2013, 10:50 AM
I want the the skinny on wheats !!! What do you think of Maine this time of year?? Can I bribe you with a twin Lobster Dinner ? :D

Vickilynn
:sign10::sign10: You are a piece of work Vicki. And I mean that in a good way. Too bad you're so far away.

Vickilynn
07-24-2013, 11:25 AM
Roller,
Sounds like a fair deal you have going.I have just started to attempt searching wheats for DDOs. I started with the 40s /50s. So far I have not found 1.Good luck in your searching.

Vickilynn

coppercoins
07-24-2013, 01:44 PM
Vickilynn - I cannot do Maine. I would love to, though. Unfortunately the job doesn't allow for jaunts too far away from home. Roller lives about a three hour drive from my hose across the desolate farmland of Central Florida.

Perhaps I could coerce you into a rock lobster dinner at a restaurant on what is arguably one of the top-ten beaches in the US...then a lesson in Wheat cents. You just have to make it down here to Florida :)

As for the wheats in the 40s and 50s - concentrate your efforts at first looking on 1944 and 1945 for class 6 obverses. They are common as a type, the individual dies get a little scarce. Watch especially on the left side of the letters LIB and the tail of the 9 of the date. That's where they generally show up best.

Roller - any reason perhaps that you might be heading West any time soon? Like to the Sarasota area? I could have you over for a steak dinner at the house.

coppercoins
07-24-2013, 01:47 PM
Wow, Vickilynn...I just checked out Google maps...you live smack in the middle of nowhere! I bet it's beautiful!

Roller
07-24-2013, 02:00 PM
Vickilynn - I cannot do Maine. I would love to, though. Unfortunately the job doesn't allow for jaunts too far away from home. Roller lives about a three hour drive from my hose across the desolate farmland of Central Florida.

Perhaps I could coerce you into a rock lobster dinner at a restaurant on what is arguably one of the top-ten beaches in the US...then a lesson in Wheat cents. You just have to make it down here to Florida :)

As for the wheats in the 40s and 50s - concentrate your efforts at first looking on 1944 and 1945 for class 6 obverses. They are common as a type, the individual dies get a little scarce. Watch especially on the left side of the letters LIB and the tail of the 9 of the date. That's where they generally show up best.

Roller - any reason perhaps that you might be heading West any time soon? Like to the Sarasota area? I could have you over for a steak dinner at the house.
I may get that way sometime later this summer or in the fall. I'll phone you when I know.

jfines69
07-24-2013, 03:35 PM
When searching wheats remember... Before I search my little wheaties I get the eaties for my Wheaties... LOL!!!

Magers
07-24-2013, 04:34 PM

This is why I love this forum. Its like asking for help with your golf swing and having Phil Mickelson offer to give you a hand. Where else could you casually chat with some of the foremost experts in any field? It's great to be a member here.

simonm
07-24-2013, 04:38 PM
We should hold an auction on the forum where one of the prizes is "Dinner with Daughtrey". Includes air fare, hotel bookings, and a premium unsearched brick of cents from Florida...:wink: