PDA

View Full Version : Good News...Good News...

cladhunter13
08-01-2013, 07:52 PM
Well...Good news for me at least. As everyone on the other side of the imaginary line my no or not. Canada no longer mints the cent and is in the process of removing them from general circulation. Banks are not permitted to distribute them any more (some tellers still do on occasion). It is very disheartening for Canadian cent collectors. In my area it is doubly disheartening as I also collect US cents. I get a large quantity on average of US coinage in the Canadian rolls here.

Well...the good news is. I went to my local Habitat for Humanity and talked with the person in charge there that handles the coins they collect in their penny drive for building homes for needy families. They have agreed to sell me their boxes of cents on a bi-weekly basis. I will pay them a $2 premium per box but it goes to a good cause so I have no issues with that. I will be picking up $200 + in cents tomorrow (Friday). :xd: I will now have cents to search. YAAAYYYY!!! When I talked to them they said they wish I would of came to them when they had 40 boxes of cents. My poor heart just dropped when I heard that. Not sure I would of had $1000 to drop on cents but I know others around town who would of also taken some. We could of at least saved the best from the recycler.

I wish 10 AM would get here. LOL!

Have a good Friday all.

WaterSport
08-01-2013, 08:28 PM
If only the US would wake up. That is good news.

WS

liveandievarieties
08-01-2013, 09:26 PM
I already woke up! I haven't gotten rid of a single memorial cent in 6 months (except those with larger value than face). It's going to happen here, not if, just when.

rlmillerjr
08-01-2013, 09:55 PM
That's interesting, I have always set any foreign coins aside, especially Canadian ones, thanks for the info.

cladhunter13
08-01-2013, 10:08 PM
Yes...unfortunately I agree. It has come to the point where it costs more to mint the coin then the coins actual face value. It will be a sad day indeed when they stop minting the US cent as well. For Canada...the cent will always be worth a cent and can be used as so. I know there will be cents in circulation for a long time to come but getting your hands on them will be tough. I imagine the same thing will happen in the US with banks being ordered to ship them back to the fed and not distribute them.

Here in Canada they have also started recycling nickels through the coin distribution centers (Brinks and so forth). If I receive a distribution center sealed box of nickels...I can 99% guarantee that you will find no nickel dated earlier then 1990. Most will be dated 2000 or newer. The rest get recycled for their metal content. Nickels dated 1981 and earlier are 99.9% nickel and worth more per pound then actual face value. From what I hear they will start recycling the older quarters and dimes as well. It will not be to long before here in Canada we will not be able to get any of the older coins unless they are CWR. I hope it is not in my lifetime as it would probably kill me. :neutral:

Ahh well. Enough with speculating what the future will bring to the hobby and concentrate on what I get tomorrow.

Good night all.

Cheers.

cladhunter13
08-02-2013, 02:30 PM
Managed to pick up $286 in cents. I have high hopes. I will keep informed of any finds.

Have a great weekend.

hasfam
08-02-2013, 02:49 PM
Good luck with the search. Glad you got a resource and it keeps you supplied for a long time.

BadThad
08-02-2013, 05:09 PM
That's cool you worked out a deal! Eventually, bankroll-based, cent searching will be thing of the past everywhere. I'm kind of surprised more banks haven't clamped down on handing out boxes already.

Arjohn
08-04-2013, 10:26 AM
In a off shoot... What do you (we) do with foreign coins? I set my Canadians (and very few others aside) but really have no desire to collect them --- Trade?

cladhunter13
08-04-2013, 11:17 AM
For me...I keep all non Canadian and US coins I recover. I managed 3 from the first bag ($25) of cents I just searched from the lot of $286. Pulled a 1991 $1 Bank Negara Malaysia, 2010 One Penny [Elizabeth II D G REG F D] (British, Harp - about the size of a nickel and copper in color) & a coin that I do not understand the writing on it. I identified the 3rd coin. It is a Thialand 50 Satang.

I also search all the US coins for errors and varieties. I keep all wheat cents as well. Oldest pull from bag was a 1947S wheat cent and a 1929 Low 9 Canadian cent. Also pulled What I believe is a 1974S (1974S-1MM-001) on CC site. Not much in the way of markers to look for and with the circulation...I could not identify the markers but I believe the MM position and look is a match. I'll put up a post later with pics. Wheat cents from first $25 were 1941P, 1947S, 1948P and a 1949S. A bit low on the wheat count but I'll take it.

Will update with anything else.

BadThad
08-04-2013, 01:11 PM
In a off shoot... What do you (we) do with foreign coins? I set my Canadians (and very few others aside) but really have no desire to collect them --- Trade?

I've always wanted to complete a modern, Canadian BU set. However, I absolutely never see them at dealers nor shows that I attend. There is so little interest (in my area at least) that nobody bothers with them. You can find them on ebay and such, but I prefer not to buy on the web and assembling a complete collection would be VERY difficult. You can buy a "complete" BU set of Lincolns 59 and up, but, the last time I looked, nobody offered anything like that for Canada.

cladhunter13
08-04-2013, 03:16 PM
To tell you the truth. I have not even assembled a complete set of Canadian small cents yet. I believe I have most of them (missing 1922 - 1926). Not including all the varieties. I do have quite a few varieties though. I managed to pull a 1955 NSF which is a tough one. I still need the 1954 NSF but I do not think I will ever find it in the wild. I believe it was issued in the PL sets only. I have been threatening to put some sets together but never seem to find the time.

cladhunter13
08-04-2013, 10:09 PM
Drudged through the second bag of $25. Not a whole lot to speak of. Managed only 3 wheat cents (1942P, 1048P & 1951P). Did find a 1969S that has something going on with the MM. I can not make it out with the loupe so I will see if I can catch a photo of it and blow it up to see if its anything.

On to the next bag.

cladhunter13
08-10-2013, 03:53 PM
Still going through the lot of cents. Aprox $130 in so far. Kind of a treat for me as about 1/3 of the current bag was all US cents. Going through them now. Not much yet...just a few common wheat cents. A few minor DDR of varying dates that I will look up after. Nothing special and most likely most of them are to minor to be listed but I will check anyhow.

I hope everyone is having a good weekend.

Update later if anything interesting pops up.