PDA

View Full Version : light bulb

dixiejunksales
08-18-2013, 04:47 PM
I have had this 10S laying around for a while. Looks like some one used brasso on it. It was turning brown again. Someone told me to set it on a light bulb. turned it bright yellow. Looks like a polished fire extinguisher now. :O

jcuve
08-19-2013, 07:35 AM
The hazards of cleaning a coin. They always look wrong.

dixiejunksales
08-19-2013, 07:49 AM
I am trying to "unclean" it:). Something on the coin must have reacted with the heat of the bulb. Looks like it is gold plated now!

coppercoins
08-19-2013, 08:00 AM
Problem is, once the molecules on the surface of the coin have been knocked off and moved around, there's nothing that will put them back in their correct place...nothing. Best thing to do with something like this is to just stop the perpetuation of damage and not mess with it further.

dixiejunksales
08-19-2013, 08:12 AM
The coin was already beyond hope and there was nothing to loose in experimenting with it. I had heard from several sources to put it on a hot light bulb for a while. I wanted to see what would happen but did not expect the results that I got.

coppercoins
08-19-2013, 08:17 AM
Okay, then try this..

The coin needs some "skin" - all you're seeing is raw flesh because the skin is gone.

Place the coin inside a sulphur saturated (old brown style) coin envelope and place it in a spot that gets pretty warm, but not hot...like a window sill. A skin will develop on the coin after about six months. It will never completely hide the issues, but will make the coin look more attractive than a polished fire extinguisher.