PDA

View Full Version : 1994 cent Re-Punched FG

newmoneypicker
08-23-2013, 03:24 AM
This is a 1994 cent I picked and when I looked through
the loupe I can clearly see that the FG was re-punched.
I tried my best to supply a photo because the scanner
would not show the detail. I searched The internet and
couldn't find any info on this.

mustbebob
08-23-2013, 03:30 AM
No such thing as a repunching here. It can't happen. I can't quite tell what you have as the photo is inconclusive with glare problems.

georoxx
08-23-2013, 03:35 AM
Leaning towards a hit, but a better pic would help.

-George

coppercoins
08-23-2013, 04:13 AM
Again - you should really learn something - ANYTHING - about the minting process before you move on to looking through any more coins. A very basic knowledge in the minting process would tell you that it's impossible to 'repunch' the designer's initials onto a die.

cimperialis
08-23-2013, 05:46 AM
Have to agree with Chuck here. Please educate yourself on the die-making and minting process before looking for more errors. Might I suggest buying "Looking through Lincoln cents"?

newmoneypicker
08-23-2013, 10:20 AM
I just came from a coin dealer and he told me that my find
was very interesting and he was going to have someone
take a look at it.

newmoneypicker
08-23-2013, 10:21 AM
thanks for the input anyway and being so critical that really helps..

DCW
08-23-2013, 10:22 AM
I just came from a coin dealer and he told me that my find
was very interesting and he was going to have someone
take a look at it.

Most coin dealers don't know jack about varieties. You were given the best advice right here on the forum. The initials cannot be "repunched." That's impossible. You have a normal coin.

coppercoins
08-23-2013, 10:33 AM
First fact you should know is that about 90% of all dealers know the subject about as well as you do. It's much like asking a car salesman technical questions about performing a tune-up on the cars they are selling. You are not likely to get the correct answers because they are not mechanics. Well, dealers - for the most part - do not study the science of numismatics. They only know how to sell the result of the process.

Second fact - people are only 'critical' because you come here asking questions for which you receive prompt and correct answers. Because you do not like the answers you are given, you assume the people you have asked don't know your right answer, then you cop an attitude about it.

Third - you professing that you're taking your coin to a dealer is basically a cold slap to the face of those in the know, because WE all know that dealers usually don't know much of anything about the subject and WE have already given you all the answers you should need.

I didn't spend 40 years exclusively studying the Lincoln cent, teaching the subject at the ANA headquarters, publishing one of the most comprehensive websites in the world on the subject, and authoring and publishing two books on the subject to sit around arguing with someone who obviously does not know the subject and is unwilling to listen to knowledgeable people because they do not agree with his uneducated assessments.

I shall henceforth expend my energy on those who do want to learn until such time that you decide you would rather accept fact as fact and stop arguing with everyone about everything.

Your coin is a normal coin. I am done with this.

newmoneypicker
08-23-2013, 10:35 AM
it seems to me that You guys shoot down also everything someone post.
trust me You guys are not the only professionals out here and this is not the
only site to be informed on cents..

Magers
08-23-2013, 10:40 AM

Yes they are, and, yes it is.

jcuve
08-23-2013, 10:43 AM

Please be my guest and hang around some ignorant and entirely unknowledgeable dealers. Have them send this 1994 to PCGS and see what happens...

coppercoins
08-23-2013, 10:48 AM
I, for one, don't care one way or the other whether the coins you find are valuable or not. I have nothing to gain or lose either way. I respond solely based on the facts of my 40-year self education on the subject; nothing more - and nothing less. The people here collectively know more about Lincoln cents than you will EVER find in any one place anywhere else on the face of this planet - guaranteed. Look for it as much as you like - you will not find it, because I can guarantee it does not exist. That is why I am here. A dozen forums under my belt, and this is the most knowledgeable Lincoln cent specialized message board on the internet, hands down, finis.

I am solely here to educate people who do want to know what they have. I have no ulterior motive as you suggest. You are obviously not one of those people, and that makes me sad. Things would be a lot easier for you if you would understand that you need:

1. To learn the basics of the minting process. Self-education plays an important role in numismatics. We aren't going to sit and have a coin by coin class with you - especially when you refuse all the education you've been freely given.
2. To attempt to understand the responses given rather than immediately kicking up dust in disbelief because we do not agree with you.
3. To give some thanks for those who were willing to spend their time attempting to educate you. Gratefulness goes a long way.
4. To understand the meaning of "critical" - because nobody here has been critical of you.
5. To understand that being told your assessment is incorrect is NOT criticism. It's education, which you seem to refuse.

willbrooks
08-23-2013, 10:48 AM

NOOOOOOOOO!!!! Please don't go!!!! I want to continue giving you free tutelage and then get slapped in the face. Why are you acting like you are doing US a favor by coming here?

jallengomez
08-23-2013, 10:49 AM
Good luck with your collecting. I'm sure we'll see your wares peddled on Ebay once you find some ignorant dealer who will tell you that you have something interesting.

newmoneypicker
08-23-2013, 11:19 AM
first of all I been a millionaire 3 times over not bragging just facts!
I wont be peddling anything on ebay You can bet Your bottom dollar on that.
You learn more by asking questions than reading any book thats a fact!
I been picking a week and I found a 1988D with the big FG, a 2000 wide
AM and a bunch of cents before the 1900's and a host of other cents.
so nothings impossible cause YOu never know what You might find
excuse me for saying it was a re-punch instead of a hit. when I come across
cents that I cant find any info on Im going to ask the question. So dont try to
insult me with lines like I will be peddling coins on ebay cause thats clearly
an insult! and I haven't insulted anyone on here. I also agree I need to learn more about coins
and this will be done but stop with the insults cause no one is right 100% of the time thats
impossible and I hope You dont erase this message cause its been done twice and thats BIAS!!
let the user's see both point of views!!!!!! and for You to say that You know more about cents than ANYONE ON THE PLANET is a clearly an insult to those who do know about it.

Scott99
08-23-2013, 11:31 AM
Honestly, by choosing not to learn from these very experienced and respected people in numismatics ( top third-party grading companies such as PCGS and ANACS go by THEIR word); you are only hurting yourself. These members are offering their time and years of experience to you for free because they love the hobby. Look in any reference book and you will see a handful of these members that are responding to your thread in the book AND the author of some.

Having an opinion based on a small, out of focus image is really just going by what they see. It's not a matter of shooting down everything, it's just trying to teach you what is or is not considered valuable so you will not waste your money or time. Trust me, I am relatively new to numismatics and THIS FORUM is where I learned everything. It is your choice to accept the gift or deny accurate information because someone tells you otherwise.

I have experienced coin dealers, most generally they know the basics... if that. They are there to make money, not be a coin encyclopedia. If in fact this was a doubled die (such as 1dr-018), 98% of the dealers would not know or recognize it. When I went to a coin show, they only go by what is in the cherrypickers' guide, redbook, pcgs price reference, or whats on the grey sheet. (I'm over-generalizing as not all dealers are this way as there's a fraction of a percentile that are knowledgeable about varieties and die varieties, but it's just to make a point.)

It is completely your choice, but I highly recommend listening to the free information by knowledgeable people being given to you. You will thank yourself down the road if you do.

coppercoins
08-23-2013, 11:35 AM
So we can add brushing up on reading comprehension to the list of things to do.

What I said, specifically and in other words so it CAN be clearly understood, is that collectively the most knowledgeable and unbiased group of Lincoln cent experts in the world frequents this forum, and this forum alone. While some may also frequent one forum or another to spread the wealth of knowledge, this is the ONLY forum in which all of them participate.

Second, it is unlikely that "those who do know about it" would be insulted, because they are mostly here, reading this diatribe of yours about insults.

Third - the amount of money someone has speaks very little of their openness to learn, be taught, and play nicely with others - especially when asking for help. You've now proven that. I'm happy you have money. I make six figures annually on my expertise as a numismatist. bah. That doesn't help my position here...what helps my position here is knowledge - not money.

I hope they leave your post alone too. Free speech and all, but truthfully it really reads as ignorance and attitude...not as a point proven. Oh...that WAS an opinion.

newmoneypicker
08-23-2013, 11:49 AM
whats real funny is I still haven't gotten an answer to the cent I posted. everything
I wrote was written with out calling You guys ignorant to what You have called me
all insults on a consistent basis here and You call Yourselves professionals and throw around
pop shots as You please but call me ignorant. I see this this done to alot of others as well
what I see is people who have been collecting coins for half theirs and are afraid for someone else
to discover what they wish they had and thats not pertaining to myself that goes for anyone and this is a fact cents will be here long after You and I are gone who will be the professionals then?

coppercoins
08-23-2013, 11:51 AM
Heh...Yeah. I'm done now. :)

newmoneypicker
08-23-2013, 11:53 AM
I take professional opinions well but I still haven't found out what
my cent is will someone please tell cause I cant find any info on this.
instead of giving me insight You tell me how to collect. does anyone on this
site have a cent like this?

Scott99
08-23-2013, 11:55 AM
Here are all the answer's to the question in case you had missed them.

No such thing as a repunching here. It can't happen. I can't quite tell what you have as the photo is inconclusive with glare problems.

Leaning towards a hit, but a better pic would help.

-George

it's impossible to 'repunch' the designer's initials onto a die.

You were given the best advice right here on the forum. The initials cannot be "repunched." That's impossible.

newmoneypicker
08-23-2013, 11:56 AM
I see it all the time it never seems to amaze me. :neutral:

enamel7
08-23-2013, 11:58 AM
You see what all of the time?

jallengomez
08-23-2013, 12:01 PM
You're exhibiting tunnel vision if you haven't been able to look beyond your own threads and see that we celebrate the finds of others on this forum. You'll see plenty of legitimate finds without a single poster exhibiting fear that someone else found something that they haven't been able to find. As a matter of fact, you won't find a single post here which backs up that little claim of yours.

jallengomez
08-23-2013, 12:04 PM
I take professional opinions well but I still haven't found out what
my cent is will someone please tell cause I cant find any info on this.
instead of giving me insight You tell me how to collect. does anyone on this
site have a cent like this?

We don't even need a photo to tell you that you don't have a repunched designer's initial, but you have been repeatedly told that your photo is insufficient to tell you what it is that you are seeing.

trails
08-23-2013, 12:06 PM
WOW, I missed all the fun. And to think, I could have been hob-nobbling with a millionaire.

BJ Neff

Maineman750
08-23-2013, 12:10 PM
WOW, I missed all the fun. And to think, I could have been hob-nobbling with a millionaire.

BJ Neff

I'm guessing he didn't make it with his reading and comprehension skills:LOL_Hair:

coppercoins
08-23-2013, 12:14 PM
I'm guessing he didn't make it with his reading and comprehension skills:LOL_Hair:

Neither did Paris Hilton.

DCW
08-23-2013, 12:14 PM
The date, 1994, has a rather pronounced doubled die reverse that shows up quite well on the designer's initials. Not to add confusion to the mix, but with a bit of irony as your coin is a normal 1994 cent, I thought I'd point this out to you.
Compare yours to coppercoins' 1994 1-dr-18

Scott99
08-23-2013, 12:17 PM
Can they still see this with being banned?

Maineman750
08-23-2013, 12:18 PM
Neither did Paris Hilton.

Now that I think about it...there is an eerie similarity between the two.

jallengomez
08-23-2013, 12:19 PM
Just noticed the banning. I don't know. Ask Will. :sign10: (Will-Just having fun with you my friend).

Peter
08-23-2013, 12:21 PM
Thread locked. I am not going to tolerate members being insulted on here or this kind of escalation.