PDA

View Full Version : Traildies.com, MADdieclashes.com, Error-ref.com and Cuds-on-coins.com

trails
09-01-2013, 05:12 AM
"We have a problem, Huston" was a famous quote that can best describe what is happening to these sites. Until about two weeks ago, adding information to these sites was pretty easy; you just added the text and images and then published and waited for that added data to appear on the web.

It now seems that these sites are too large for Web.com to handle and they have limited the amount of time that a web site can publish. Any site over 200 pages seems not to be able to publish correctly to the web. So with traildies.com at 270 pages, error-ref.com at 489 pages and MADdieclashes.com at 665 pages, these three sites will no longer publish. Even the under construction site, Cuds-on-coins.com has 98 pages and I am sure that it will pass the 200 mark even before it is introduced to the public. The underlying picture of what WEB.com seems to be doing is trying to rid themselves of large sites so that more smaller sites can fill their servers or the dollar sign has come into play over integrity.

I have gone through one experience of transferring traildies.com from one site format to another due to the old site not being able to except any more images. That took me over 3 months with an average 6 to 8 hour day to take the existing files and put them on the new site. My dear wife would shoot me if I had to do that with three sites.

However, there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Peter has offered his expertise on this situation and hopefully a solution will be in the making. It would be a a huge shame to loose all that information on those sites and the countless hours of constructing those sites would be wasted energy.

For now, the three web sites will appear normal. The only difference that will be seen is that there will be no new information added until the problem is resolved. Just wanted to let you all know and that the authors of "The Error-Variety Education Consortium" are not asleep at the wheel.

BJ Neff

jcuve
09-01-2013, 07:20 AM
Thanks for the update. I will have to hold the few entries I have and wait. I just moved and have no Internet to upload anything right now.

Some servers have a way of migrating a site over from another server. I am not sure how the interface changes would impact the look or functionality if the sites were moved.

I will try and make a back up copy of at least one site in its entirety. I could then FTP that site myself. But again the formatting was done on a web interface and I'm not sure what would happen. Keep me in the loop. If I have to take one site and replicate it myself I can, maybe maddieclashes as I know it better and could get it back up. I'm sure it would take a while though.

Peter
09-01-2013, 08:10 AM
Jason--call me when you have the chance. I have all sites backed up and switching them whole to a new server is not the issue. It is more in the back end admin section that is not available once it leaves the current host--theirs is a proprietary system that does not port over. I have a solution and am working on it to give all of you admin functionality and easy ways to make updates. It is not a smooth transition though and I am working on traildies first as an example to see what is involved.

mikediamond
09-01-2013, 08:20 AM
Thank you for your efforts, Peter. I do hope you're successful. I wish I could help, but I'm out of my element here.