PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Maryland

furryfrog02
09-02-2013, 12:26 PM
Hi everyone,

I have been collecting for about a year now. I started with cents and then moved to nickels. I do all of my collecting via coin roll hunting and have done pretty good so far. I search 8 boxes of cents a week. I've used this site extensively over the last year as a reference for various coins I have found. It's been awesome. I don't know why it's taken me so long to join the forum.

Maineman750
09-02-2013, 12:32 PM
Welcome to the forum !

simonm
09-02-2013, 12:49 PM
Hello Mr. Frog! :) Welcome to the forum...enjoy your stay!

Peter
09-02-2013, 01:04 PM
Welcome to the Forum! Try using the search function in the menu items above to look at past threads if you are looking for information on a particular subject, coin or in getting help on identifying a die variety. For more great information look at lincolncentresource.com and coppercoins.com.

enamel7
09-02-2013, 05:49 PM
Welcome! Better late than never!

Roller
09-02-2013, 05:53 PM
Welcome to the forum.

rarecollectibles
09-03-2013, 09:05 AM
Hello and welcome to the forum!

Another Marylander,
Dan

jallengomez
09-03-2013, 09:09 AM
Welcome aboard.

georoxx
09-03-2013, 09:23 AM
I search 8 boxes of cents a week.

I just don't see you maintaining this pace. :~ No wonder it took you so long to join.

Good luck and welcome to LCR.

-George

coppercoins
09-03-2013, 09:29 AM
Welcome.

8 boxes a week is either a full-time gig or you're going way too fast. I would be lucky to get 2 a week down and I've been doing this for a long time.

furryfrog02
09-03-2013, 02:22 PM
Thanks for the welcome everyone. I've been doing 8 boxes a week since around February with a 2 month break over the summer when I was away for work. I search at night after my son goes to bed and during his nap time on the weekends. It's a good way to wind down for the day. I do search pretty fast, I am only pulling wheats, IHCs(when I find them), foreign coins, obvious errors, and about 10 dates(60, 71, 72, 83, 84, 92, 95, 98, 99, and 00) that I go back and look at more carefully. I know I could search more carefully/thoroughly but I don't have much of an interest in things like RPMs or a lot of the smaller DDO's so not having to really stop and look a long time at each coin saves me a lot of time.

I've done pretty well for myself in a year's time I think. So far I've pulled 5 IHC's, 2157 wheats, 1972 DDO's 1, 2, 3, and 7, two 1995 DDO1, seven 1998 WAMs, and 22 2000 WAM's as well as some cool errors like 2 struck through die caps, a 20ish% off center, several cuds, and clipped planchets.

Arjohn
09-03-2013, 02:42 PM
Thanks for the welcome everyone. I've been doing 8 boxes a week since around February with a 2 month break over the summer when I was away for work. I search at night after my son goes to bed and during his nap time on the weekends. It's a good way to wind down for the day. I do search pretty fast, I am only pulling wheats, IHCs(when I find them), foreign coins, obvious errors, and about 10 dates(60, 71, 72, 83, 84, 92, 95, 98, 99, and 00) that I go back and look at more carefully. I know I could search more carefully/thoroughly but I don't have much of an interest in things like RPMs or a lot of the smaller DDO's so not having to really stop and look a long time at each coin saves me a lot of time.

I've done pretty well for myself in a year's time I think. So far I've pulled 5 IHC's, 2157 wheats, 1972 DDO's 1, 2, 3, and 7, two 1995 DDO1, seven 1998 WAMs, and 22 2000 WAM's as well as some cool errors like 2 struck through die caps, a 20ish% off center, several cuds, and clipped planchets.
Welcome -- you sound like me -- but even then it takes considerable time w/a 30X loupe to give each coin a once over. However I only work at it a couple of hours a day tops.... It has sped up using the flip device I read described here that allows me to look at a dozens cents, flip them all and instantly detect a miss match as well as inspect the reverse. I Keep all pre82 and a sample of the very best of all years (AU or better) as ell as the keys you mention. Once I accumulate 50+ I roll, mark and store...

furryfrog02
09-03-2013, 02:49 PM
Yeah I open a roll, dump it, flip all to "heads up" and then flip them the other way. All the ones I actually look for go into stacks to be checked with my loupe when I'm done with the box. I used to keep all pre 82 but when I hit $200 decided that it would be better for me to dump that back into more $$ for CRHing. I do keep all AU or better coppers though.

I am able to complete a box in just a bit over an hour. It's all very assembly line-ish :)

copperlover
09-04-2013, 07:07 AM
Welcome from another Marylander. No wonder I haven't found any 1995 DDO cents here but there are some others dates one can find. I am sure there are some modern varieties that may have eluded you but that leaves some for your local collectors. You will be able to increase your finds over time after going through some of the posts. Best of luck in your searches.

Lucien

celartu
09-04-2013, 07:27 AM
Never too late to start, Welcome to the Forum

coppercoins
09-04-2013, 08:11 AM
There is a benefit to only searching for the obvious stuff. As you have proven, you can have decent success with some of the major stuff rifling through a lot of boxes fast. My only hang-up with doing this is that "what if" you might have missed something else really nice just because you didn't look for it.

For instance:

1. There is a VERY nice major doubled die reverse 1982 for which there are yet only a couple known. That would be an easy $1,000 in AU.

2. 1970-S holds a lot of treasure. You might add it to the list - it's pretty important if you should ever happen to run into them.

3. 1990-P has a rather nice and very rare doubled die obverse. It wouldn't take all that long to pull those out too. Look at LIBERTY for the doubling.

4. 1997-P has a rather easily visible doubled ear that brings good money.

5. 2006-P has a couple of nice and valuable doubled dies.

Just a few 'food for thought' possible additions to your list that wouldn't really require a huge output for a possible huge return. Overall I would say your technique is successful - albeit different from mine, which by NO means makes it wrong. I just don't think I could stay sane passing over 1982 cents or checking 1983 cents for brass. I just HAVE to do it.

coppercoins
09-04-2013, 08:13 AM
Oh...and with regard to CUDs...you do realize these are only at the edge of the design - basically a piece of the die breaks completely off leaving a 'hump' of metal on the coins in its absence. Reason I say this is because a number of beginners tend to call simple die chips 'cuds' - and they aren't.

I have been through over a million coins in my time and have found ONE cud. If you've found 'several' - more power to you. I'm envious.

Roller
09-04-2013, 08:46 AM
Not to knock anyone's method but in my opinion you cannot adequately search 2500 coins in one hour. I have abbreviated my searching by first going through the contents of a bag under a 4X reading magnifier. I set aside all BU appearing coins and my pet dates (some, like the '72s no matter what condition) and all wheats and foreigns and then check the set asides under my stereo microscope. For me, if I did less than that I might as well not search at all.

furryfrog02
09-04-2013, 12:31 PM
Thanks for the other suggestions Coppercoins. I will check them out and see if it is something that interests me. I know that there are lots of different doubled dies and varieties that are worth quite a bit but I am searching for that interests me the most and also what I think I may have a shot at actually finding. I know that some are quite valuable but to me they don't hold that much interest so even if I did pass one up, hopefully someone who has an interest in it will find it and give it a home :)

Regarding CUDs, I know that they are only on the edge. I have attached pictures of some of my more interesting finds. You can take a look at them and confirm for sure that they are what I have them ID'd as. The pictures aren't the greatest since I just took them with my ipod. If you want to see anything more up close let me know and I will bust out my digital microscope and take some more pictures.

Copperlover - I see that you are in Olney. I am in North Laurel so we aren't too far apart. I don't know where you get your coins from but I get mine from just one credit union and I "think" they get their stuff from Loomis. My first two 95's were found one box apart from each other. I just found the 3rd not too long ago.

Without further ado here are my pictures:
http://imageshack.us/a/img12/706/bzqj.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img5/1852/7pv7.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img827/9213/jgj7.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img802/3131/r47b.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img19/4141/lmkk.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img849/6947/awqq.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img580/5248/tgom.jpg

mustbebob
09-04-2013, 12:36 PM
Some nice finds there. It appears you correctly identified all of them. Basically, you should collect what you want ,and search how you please. The membership here all has their own ways of doing things but we want to make sure you know what you could be missing. Continued good luck in your searches.

furryfrog02
09-04-2013, 12:38 PM
Thanks. The only one I am still not sure on is the 4th 1972 DDO. I'm pretty sure it is a #7 but I can't find any of the die markers.

mustbebob
09-04-2013, 12:42 PM
Are you able to post any closeups of the motto? We might be able to help.

furryfrog02
09-04-2013, 12:54 PM
Yeah no prob. I have some but they kinda suck. I will try to get some better ones in a bit and I will post them up.

Maineman750
09-04-2013, 01:22 PM
Yeah no prob. I have some but they kinda suck. I will try to get some better ones in a bit and I will post them up.

Typically we start a new thread per coin. Would appreciate if you do that...thanks !

furryfrog02
09-04-2013, 01:23 PM
I did just that :)
Here is the link:
http://lincolncentresource.net/forums/showthread.php?p=228509#post228509