PDA

View Full Version : Schneider Componon S 135mm

Roller
11-03-2013, 07:27 AM
Wondering if anyone has tried this lens for coin photos. (Ray, probably LOL, he has all of them.) I had one in hand a week past and just have to have one of my own.

jcuve
11-03-2013, 08:03 AM
I have not used that lens. It would probably be a good lens to image coins with a larger diameter than Lincoln cents. There is some info on that lens here: http://coinimaging.com/schn_135n.html

ray_parkhurst
11-03-2013, 07:32 PM
I haven't tried the 135mm. That is a fairly long lens that requires larger (taller) setups than I usually build. Now, 135mm might not sound like a long lens, but keep in mind that enlarger lenses are absolutely fixed in focal length, unlike regular macro lenses, which shorten their focal length as you increase magnification. Usually, they shorten to approx 60% of rated FL at 1:1, so a 150mm lens (rated) becomes a 90mm FL at 1:1. So a 135mm is actually quite long in comparison.

If you go for it, keep this in mind so that you make room on your desk for a large enough copy stand!

My personal favorite in this range is actually the venerable Nikon 135mm Bellows lens. This antique is still the best macro lens I've ever tried in that range of focal lengths, and it's specifically designed for use on bellows. But again, it will require a physically large setup to make work for larger coins.

Roller
11-04-2013, 03:54 AM
Don't know what possessed me but I bid on both an 80mm Schneider and the 135 and won both at $26 and $46 respectively. Pretty much stole the 135 at that price. I also acquired a 48" Beseler color enlarger from the local craigslist a few weeks back, the gantry of which I'm using as a copy stand, so I am not vertically challenged. Looking forward to trying out both, though I am using a 75mm Nikon, presently.
By the way, anyone interested in a Beseler 23C Dual Dichro enlarger in excellent condition?:LOL_Hair:

ray_parkhurst
11-04-2013, 05:38 AM
You pretty much stole the 80mm as well! Sounds like you're getting a nice setup together. I can't wait to see some pics!