PDA

View Full Version : usb microscope

lincent
12-25-2013, 03:00 PM
I would like to know an opinion on the effectiveness of a digital usb microscope endoscope camera magnifier.

kloccwork419
12-25-2013, 04:10 PM
I dont know anyone who likes them.

ray_parkhurst
12-25-2013, 06:18 PM
They can be useful for quick inspections for attribution purposes, but I have not seen any low cost ones that are useful for taking photographs for web publishing. Many folks use them, and publish their photos, but the quality is always marginal. I don't mean to denigrate anyone's efforts, just making comparison to what can be done with better equipment. Now, I do own a USB camera made by Tucsen that is pretty decent, but it cost over $300, and didn't come with any optics, just the camera. I don't expect this is the type of camera you're talking about...Ray

JC Stevens
12-26-2013, 08:25 AM
I have a DinoLite AM-411T and do real well with it. Quick, very easy to use and easy to focus and take an image, then save it to a database.

I had a USB Microscope Camera USB 10MP that I used in the Photo Tube of my OMAX V434 Microscope but returned it. VERY HARD to focus.

For me a USB scope is the only way to go. So far I haven't found a USB to attach to my OMAX that's easy to use in my price range.

lincent
01-10-2014, 12:07 PM
I want to thank to ray_parkhurst and 2Old for their post that I have been very useful.

Scott99
01-10-2014, 12:41 PM
Though it might seem easiest to just use a digital microscope for searching, I highly recommend adding a little bit more money to the budget and getting you a real microscope. Seeing the coins through a microscope as opposed to a digital microscope with poor quality is much better in my opinion. The money I spent on trying different digital microscopes only to be disappointed was just a waste. I should have skipped taking the 'easy/cheap' way and just went with the microscope to begin with as it would have saved me time and money in the end. :angel:

Rollem
01-10-2014, 01:38 PM
I love mine for quick searching, added a rubber boot to it help to keep focus and square to coin surface.
I also have scope cameras and enlarger setup for better quality pics.

Even my grand daughter used it to examine some coins. See Below

http://lincolncentresource.net/forums/showthread.php?t=15070

About 30 bucks ebay

James
http://lincolncentresource.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=38080&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1311888960

VAB2013
01-10-2014, 04:31 PM
I love the convenience of my USB scope for quick searches but it is totally lacking in many areas and I have to use a loupe. You cannot turn the LED lights off on the one I have. You cannot see the intricate details of mint marks and other small details that show up on EPU and other notching and separation lines unless it is very noticable. The glare causes problems with making thick devices appear doubled and photos are hard to take, especially of shiny new looking coins. As soon as possible I will be purchasing a stereo scope, possibly with a built in USB Camera or I may go with a separate camera. Still looking at different options and prices. Oh... and it is just about impossible to take a full coin shot.

JC Stevens
01-11-2014, 07:59 AM
Attached is an Image from my AM-411T USB scope of a 1956D UNC Cent Very good quick search scope!

1/12/14 Added image showing touch up with gimp of the first photo. This 56D shows a chipped 6 in the date. Which I think is the result of a chipped hub.

onecent1909
01-11-2014, 08:44 AM
OK agreed USB micros are a lower cost.. easier to use.. not as high end and lower optics... BUT..
with a little work... and luck you can get good.. not great pics
here are some BAD pics taken with my dino-lite 311... $125. is what I think I paid... and the guy gave me a free stand ($30 value)

onecent1909
01-11-2014, 08:52 AM
OK now some ...mix.. I have both a good and bad pic of the same coin ( 1 image off of e-bay of a die I bought... Fred Weinberg pic...1 from my dino lite)
Mr Weinbergs pic is the larger pic... it has a bit of rainbow coloring from light refracting
mine lower quality but clear and white

onecent1909
01-11-2014, 09:39 AM
lastly.... some good pics....could my Canon Digital or a Microscope and an small Point And Shoot Canon camera ( which B.J. uses fantastically) get better pics... probably
will my 1953 rolle-cord make a better print than my Cannon Digital.. maybe....
would it make a better print that a Cannon Eos-1d x ($6,799)... no.. but I don't want to pay that price...

I like my Dino-lite.... it is just my opinion...
I do wish I would have bump up and bought the higher mega pixel model...
and the light makes it hard to take pics of a bright shiny coin in MS grades....But I still like it..

coop
01-11-2014, 09:49 AM
What type of lighting are you using? The dime images look flooded with too much light. I used to get images that looked like that when I took them with a ring light. But a single light source is best. The cents look OK. Maybe a diffuser on silver colored coins might help?

onecent1909
01-11-2014, 10:12 AM
Yes it is a ring of leds on the Dino.. hard to cover and diffuse them I should work on that.. I have a few daylight bulbs and a usb powered led that I diffuse.. the dime top image was with a normal bulb light... The brightness is terrible on ms/shinny bright coins...

VAB2013
01-11-2014, 10:34 AM
I am using a Zorb and it is probably the least expensive USB Digital Microscope on the market. To help with lighting issues, the manufacturer told me to put cloudy scotch tape over the led lights. That helped some but not good enough. Then I cut a paper template to fit the underside, cut a hole out for the camera lens and punched tiny holes with a needle where the led lights are. I can place the paper template on the bottom of the zorb and then put on the plastic piece that serves to distance the camera from the object. This works best for shiny patina coins. To adjust color so that Lincoln's do not look silver, you have to adjust the color settings in the software. It took me days of trial and error to find decent color settings.

JC Stevens
01-12-2014, 08:19 AM
OK agreed USB micros are a lower cost.. easier to use.. not as high end and lower optics... BUT..
with a little work... and luck you can get good.. not great pics
here are some BAD pics taken with my dino-lite 311... $125. is what I think I paid... and the guy gave me a free stand ($30 value)

I had the 211 and up graded to the 411. I love it as I stated above. Great very good images