PDA

View Full Version : Opinions of my photos -- Please

Arjohn
02-16-2014, 11:47 AM
Attached are three images -- 1 Untouched from the Celestron scope to its software. Second is run through Irfanview with color correction. Last is cropped and corrected. Please let me know how close am I -- The lighting is not adjustable and I made a Donut to shade 90% of it out. I took a nice new 2013 D to shoot.

VAB2013
02-16-2014, 12:43 PM
Well, I am not good at giving advice or opinions but I do understand what you are dealing with as I have struggled with my LED scope for many months. I am curious what the Irfanview color correction is, is that part of the software that comes with the Celestron or a separate program? I think you have done a good job of toning down the glare of that 2013D, that is a huge challenge. I would like to know more about your color settings as far as what your options are. Can you also shoot a circulated coin so we can see the difference? The most frustrating thing with the digital scopes is the lack of the ability to turn off the LED's, I think with the more expensive one you can turn them off, but not sure if the cost is worth the ending results. I think with any LED digital scope there will always be issues with lighting, glare, the lack of ability to focus on some things such as mint marks and notching. I like my digital scope for quick searching and photos but I still have to use a loupe for more intricate details such as mint marks and notching that is difficult to see with the scope because of glare. I really want at least a 40x microscope with a digital camera attachment that will allow me to adjust the lighting to achieve better photos!

Arjohn
02-16-2014, 01:14 PM
Here is a nice 41D -- Same set up -- != Raw 2= Color correction & 3= Cropped and corrected.

Irfanview is a free image software that is just wondrous! It is my default editor so all I do is double click on the image I want to work on and it loads -- giving you bunches of editing option - Sharpness - color correction - text - arrows you name it. The color correction I use is -- Automatic -= one click -- done, and you can see the effects are dramatic and true to actual color.
So -- What do you think of:

Roller
02-16-2014, 01:36 PM
I think the '41 is very good. It is difficult to shoot mirror finished object to start with and not having the capability to move the lighting around makes it even more difficult. There is too much glare on the '13.

VAB2013
02-16-2014, 01:41 PM
Arjohn, thanks for the info on Irfanview. I just checked it out and it is a cool free color adjustment program! The color adjustment on both the 2013D and 1941D is good, a much better improvement than the raw. I am seeing a bit of out of focus on the 41D. Just wondering, does the Celestron have settings for color and lighting adjustments? On my scope it is listed under Options - then Video Caption Filter - then Settings. There I can adjust brightness, contrast, gamma, saturation, sharpness, white balance, red and blue color adjustments, etc. If you have these options, you might not need the other program and it will also help more with your lighting issues.

copperlover
02-16-2014, 03:49 PM
I have to agree that the lighting is too much on the date 2013, try less light and compare the results.

Lucien

Arjohn
02-16-2014, 04:10 PM
Thanks all... Viv the software for the Celestron is pretty simple, not much to change or adjust -- that's why I run everything through Irfanview. About 2 yrs ago I began scanning my late parents snapshots and the Irfanview was great for restoring color, lighting etc... When I began sooting coins - it was a natural. I often use it on my Iphone shots as well.
I agree the 41 is a touch out of focus -- I was rushing. I will work on the lighting on new coins still -- could be a focus problem too, not helping. Please note the 13 shows a mark on the MM and there is a corresponding hit on the MM. I was happy to get that detail. Back to the lab!!

VAB2013
02-16-2014, 04:32 PM
Thanks Arjohn, I tried the Irfanview earlier and I do like that program. But what I did discover is... I was trying to adjust the shiny glare on pics of a 2004P that I am trying to get help on to see if it is a DR-002 and the color adjustment completely washed out the markers. So I guess the color adjustment is only going to be as clearly defined as the original photo and in my case the original photo was not very good.

Arjohn
02-16-2014, 05:36 PM
Thanks Arjohn, I tried the Irfanview earlier and I do like that program. But what I did discover is... I was trying to adjust the shiny glare on pics of a 2004P that I am trying to get help on to see if it is a DR-002 and the color adjustment completely washed out the markers. So I guess the color adjustment is only going to be as clearly defined as the original photo and in my case the original photo was not very good.
I take it you used the Auto color -- if like you can manually take control and experiment. But yes the original photo is the basis if it is not good things can go awry. What is nice is you can try something -- If you don't like it UnDo it and try something else. You might want to play with Sharpness too...

VAB2013
02-16-2014, 05:47 PM
Yes, I used the Auto Color and did not take the time to try it manually but will play around with it some. Thanks! ... I love undo features :)

Amadauss
02-18-2014, 06:05 PM
That last cropped and corrected 2013 is a great example of how lighting can cause a newer collector to think they have a DD and it is not.

Arjohn
02-18-2014, 06:57 PM
That last cropped and corrected 2013 is a great example of how lighting can cause a newer collector to think they have a DD and it is not.
It's almost like the numerals have neon edging!... Yeah that glare plays tricks....