PDA

View Full Version : Celestron Digital Microscope with LCD Screen

willy13
03-21-2014, 09:32 AM
Anyone use this type of setup? I am trying to improve on my close up pictures. I currently have a Canon Rebel XS and for the close ups I use a cheap USB microscope which I don't like because the colors are off, its tough fighting glare, and just isn't clear enough. I appreciate any opinions!
http://www.opticsplanet.com/celestron-lcd-deluxe-digital-microscope.html

VAB2013
03-21-2014, 10:48 AM
Interesting... read the reviews, most are good. I would be concerned about the top and bottom LED lights though, it may cause just as much glare as you are dealing with now. I deal with so much glare it's not fun, I will never have another scope with LED's.

coppercoins
03-21-2014, 10:59 AM
At a very maximum you would want to use 30X to view coins, and the minimum for that scope is 40X. As a comparison, I generally photograph coins with optics set between 10x and 15x. It's maximum of 1600x is appropriate for cellular level viewing, not for coin viewing.

You will find quickly that this is not good for coins.

Arjohn
03-21-2014, 10:59 AM
Thanks for posting this -- I have a cheapie Celstron (USB Style) that actually works ok but for lousy lighting and no option to turn it off. This one looks like a REAL step up, allows me to work away from my computer and take pics. Yes, as Viv states -- the LED lighting can suck -- unless they are dim-able and or they can be turned off...

UGH -- I did think the magnification was big -- but thought the lowest was OK - However Coppercoins blows that theory away

willy13
03-21-2014, 11:34 AM
What does this mean? I am kinda confused on the magnification?

The Celestron LCD Digital Microscope has a quadruple nosepiece with 4x/10x/20x/40x objective lenses, allowing for powers of up to 1600x

I do like the LCD setup. I will have to look to see what other options are out their in this setup. This would allow me to show my family my coin finds easily, without handing them the coin and loupe or uploading pics to computer.

VAB2013
03-21-2014, 12:29 PM
I am looking at something like this, but with a built in USB camera (also for viewing on the computer), thinking AmScope has a quality product for the price. Definitely want a "light bulb" top and bottom that can be intermittently turned on/off NO LED'S!!!

...this is a long link, maybe it will work

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004SQQCHC/ref=gl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2XN18QHWMDXXC&coliid=I2QJCZZAMVUATS&tag=vglnkc8270-20#productDescription

Rogerwheat
03-22-2014, 11:02 AM
I just received info about low power stereo by Amscope site a lot to choose from.

Paddy 54
03-25-2014, 01:10 PM
Google coinzip.com Alan sells dino scopes as for the Leds they can be turned off to set correct lighting you require.
Tell him Paddy sent ya. Coin zip a great web site mm Alan gas listing for coin shows and clubs nation wide. Alan is also a coin dealer and great person to talk to. Regards Paddy

Maineman750
03-25-2014, 01:55 PM
Ray Parkhurst sells a great setup for closeups made just for your Rebel. There might be a thread here or in the Trading Post...or you can just send him a PM.

willy13
03-31-2014, 06:59 AM
Well I did a little research. Ray's setup looks fun. It seems that live view would be beneficial to his setup, and my old Rebel XS does not have live view. It is certainly cheaper than a 1:1 macro lens, though it would be equivalent to the price of a .5x macro lens.

Would a .5x macro lens provide pics close enough to show off RPMs?

I also ran into extension tubes. How much closer can I get with those?

For some reason I still find all the options confusing. Hopefully I can wrap my head around the options soon so I can feel better about making the investment.

Rollem
03-31-2014, 07:29 AM
Enough::: (-) for me is Built-in Digital Camera - 2mp CMOS Sensor

Your xs is 8 or 10 mp,,, Your usb scope is pb 1.3 mp.

If only for close up shots then this Vs Ray's type set up would be a bad choice to buy celestron.

Maineman750
03-31-2014, 08:03 AM
For some reason I still find all the options confusing. Hopefully I can wrap my head around the options soon so I can feel better about making the investment.

Just send Ray a PM...he is really helpful and can guide you to the best way with what you have....great guy.