PDA

View Full Version : 2008 1c CDDO-001

dvn
02-21-2009, 03:19 PM
Many of us tend to concentrate near the earlobe area in hopes of finding a DDO and no doubt quite a few are being discovered in that particular area of the obverse.

However, I want to share with you the recent new discovery for the first DDO on a 2008 Lincoln cent. Though generally speaking, it is of a minor type, but more importantly, it does reinforce that we need to look at all areas for possible doubling, not just the known or suspected areas we are familiar with.

This DDO variety is now officially assigned in my "C" files as 2008 1c CDDO-001. Instead of "doubled earlobe" type remnants, this variety sports "doubled strands" of Lincoln's beard wide south in the lower neck area.

The top photo white arrows point to the partial raised extra strands of beard. The two red arrows point to the source of those extra strands.

The bottom photo is the exact same as the top photo but with a superimposed transparent overlay placed on top of those extra strands. We can see an exact match to the source strands.

So, when you are doing your usual searching, make sure to look at all areas.

This new listing was reported by avid variety searcher Ray Davis of Florida. Congratulations to Ray for a neat looking find and certainly one that requires having a keen eye.

Billy

http://www.dvnmagazine.com/2008cddo001p4.jpg

http://www.dvnmagazine.com/2008cddo001p5.jpg

1sgret
02-21-2009, 03:25 PM
Your right and I better go make an eye doctor appointment as I have tri-focals now so what comes next?

Definitely a keen eye and a nice find.

Wheat Cents
02-21-2009, 03:26 PM
Thanks Billy.

Both for sharing the first CDDO for 2008, and the great photo to assist us in finding some ourselves.

dvn
02-21-2009, 03:48 PM
Something I want to add that can help out collectors and is a tool that we professional attributor's use.

Some of you may know this, but, some of you may not.

The two top photos are what we call "static" photos. This means that you have to go back and forth between the two photos to visualize one with and one without the transparent overlay.

The tool that I use as an attributer is what we call "dynamic" photos. What do I mean by that?

I would guess that many of you have some type of screensaver program or photo program that will allow shifting between photos.

Since the two photos above are exactly the same photo, the only difference being is one is without an overlay and the other is with an overlay. Simply download and save both photos to your hard drive. Call up a screen saver program or photo program and have it shift between only those two photos back and forth. I use about a 2 second delay between shifting. Also, ensure that the screen saver or whatever you use keeps the photos in the exact same position on your monitor. Now you can watch the overlay fall on the extra beard strands then go away and then come back again over and over. Another way you can do this is with your browser. Simple call one photo up in a tab, and then call the other photo up in another tab on your browser. Now click on one tab and then click on the other tab and you will the same thing happening as if it was done with a screensaver program.

This is what we call "dynamic" overlaying. It is one of the most important tools that attributers can use to help in determining varieties. Granted, in a lot of cases it is not needed, however, in some cases, like this 2008 1c CDDO-001, it can be extremely helpful in allowing to visualize the doubling source and how it correlates with the doubling.

Billy

Wheat Cents
02-21-2009, 03:58 PM
Your right and I better go make an eye doctor appointment ....

I here ya' I have only gone to bi-focal recently ...

Billy ,

By the way, what is the magification and resoultion on that photo of the 2008 CDDO-001?

dvn
02-21-2009, 04:13 PM
By the way, what is the magification and resoultion on that photo of the 2008 CDDO-001?

The mag. was 25x and the photo is from 35mm 400 color film and was scanned at 110 dpi.

Billy