PDA

View Full Version : 1955-D RPM west. Apparently unlisted.

Chugly
04-14-2014, 12:37 PM
I picked up two BU examples of this die at a coin show here in Spokane over the weekend. I thought for sure this RPM would be easy to attribute, but alas I can find no similar listings on Varietyvista or Coppercoins. While hard to make out in the pictures, this coin exhibits a fairly clear outer curve of a D mint mark inside the main punching. There is minimal evidence of the vertical bar to the west of the main mint mark however. I think this would be easy to miss on a more circulated coin. Just posting this one to remind us all that new discoveries are still out there waiting to be found even after 50+ years of being searched!

Steven
04-14-2014, 12:45 PM
Looks like it could be a 1955D-1MM-008 (http://www.coppercoins.com/lincoln/diestate.php?date=1955&die_id=1955d1mm008&die_state=lds) Might want to check the markers coppercoins has on their two examples.

Chugly
04-14-2014, 01:01 PM
Thanks Steven! I did check that one very closely. Definitely no similar markers. I also ruled it out (1MM-008) based on the fact that on my coin, the anomaly inside the main mint mark is clearly curved to the left at the bottom indicating a D over D west, not east. i.e. whatever is inside the mint mark on my coins more closely resembles an outer curve of a D, not a vertical bar if that makes sense? I guess, in the end, this will be another one for Bob or Jason to figure out.

jcuve
04-14-2014, 01:17 PM
Looking at the various resources, I'm not 100%, but it is really similar to 008. Probably an in hand look is needed. Nice find John.

Chugly
04-14-2014, 01:24 PM
I think I may have to change my tune on this one now. I just spent some time checking over both examples and while they are both definitely the same die, on the second one, I can barely make out a slight lower east hook. This puts me back in the 1MM-008 camp. A far more likely outcome anyway. Oh well, back to reality - LOL! Thanks for the help guys!