PDA

View Full Version : 1909 plane&v.d.b. help please

coincidentally
05-13-2014, 07:22 AM
Hello all I first would like to say thanks for having me here i have been collecting for about 3 years and have become consumed by the hobby most recently the 1909 i just picked up 2 vdb's and 3 reg All in ms states i have studied as much As i can find on the web bu still have questions 1st one of my vdbs look to be a matted proof type but i can not find diagnostic pics of die 2 the claw per say moving on to my 2nd vdb it shows doubling in the 1&9 also liberty But it is south west on liberty unlike the nort west we see On here next.two of the plain 09 sho doubling on the te in states small te over big te is this a proof die turned business strike die well any help would be great help sorry no pictures at this time doing it all from my phone will try to get pics asap but dont know how to get good ones yet thanks again and good day

jallengomez
05-13-2014, 07:28 AM
Welcome to LCR. There are several here are well versed in matte proofs and I'm sure if you could post photos we could help you make the determination.

coincidentally
05-13-2014, 07:34 AM
Any suggestions on how to get good quality pictures

Maineman750
05-13-2014, 08:38 AM
Try this part of the forum for photography :http://lincolncentresource.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33

coincidentally
05-13-2014, 10:05 AM
Thanks may take some time to get the money to buy a camera or scope i will still try with what i have at my disposal and hope i get some feed back on the other questions about small over large te and ddo if anyone else has seen or has one of the same type thanks again for all the guidance

jallengomez
05-13-2014, 10:28 AM
Most cell phone camera's today will take decent enough full coin shots. You might try that, especially if you have an Iphone or one of the nicer smart phones.

WaterSport
05-13-2014, 11:48 AM
Welcome ! MPL's are an area that is fascinating. Very distinct yet most folks have a lot of difficulty telling one a part from a well struck Business Strike. Fortunately they have a lot of characteristics and with the low mintage, they either are or are not a proof. Here is a link that may help.

http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=30&threadid=877102

WS

ledger35
06-27-2014, 01:40 PM
Welcome To The Forum, Hope You Enjoy Your Stay!

coincidentally
06-27-2014, 04:41 PM
Thanks to all who help make this possible and to all involved !! I was at the Baltimore show today and had the above coins in hand but didnt get to ask many due to my kids not wanting to be there I spoke with a gentleman with a early bird pass who gave me some advice on who to contact about this but I did not remember who he said or get his name. It's my understanding that he is a member here and would like to contact him if he is seeing this post please reply so we may continue our conversation also I now have the means to take quality photos but have never posted more than just text so advice is greatly appreciated .
Thanks again
George

enamel7
06-27-2014, 09:08 PM
Welcome aboard!

Peter
06-28-2014, 03:07 PM
Welcome to the Forum!

coincidentally
06-30-2014, 04:29 PM
Finally this is the one I thought may be a mpl bu not so much now but still here it is and now will post the other in question coins nexts ill post the small te over big te
Thanks for your patience

coincidentally
06-30-2014, 04:46 PM
Big te under small te

coincidentally
06-30-2014, 04:53 PM
This is the coin in full which I have 2 off with the "ddr"

coincidentally
06-30-2014, 06:19 PM
And now the second vdb with doubled 190 & liberty if better pictuers are needed ill take more also sorry I did not rotate some still learning
Thanks everybody
Ok lets hear it boys

framing man
07-02-2014, 04:00 AM
they make a toy called Cyclops it mags 200x and hooks up to your tv cost about 90 bucks you can count lincolns nose hair stole mine from the grand kids been a month they still haven't noticed. I run mine though the vcr and can pick thousand of close up just wish it was adjustable Cant bet the price You can find it on the web LATER

coincidentally
07-02-2014, 04:21 AM
Thanks I actually just ordered one used off the web for 10.99 my neices have one.Can you capture pictures trew it? And if so how I've seen it but never held or used it.

willbrooks
07-02-2014, 07:27 AM
Big te under small te

I'm a little confused about if it this is all the same coin or different coins. It is best if you start a new thread for each coin you wish to discuss. You'll get much better responses that way. As for this doubling you are seeing on the reverse of your 1909, it is called reduction lathe doubling. Please study this link for details: http://www.doubleddie.com/58285.html

coincidentally
07-02-2014, 08:09 AM
Thank you. all information is very useful as for the coins they where 4 different coins 2 of which have the small te over big te I did not notice the top sides of the t exstending or the ends on the e on the example shown but do understand I have just today found a very similar picture on copper coins which list it as a double die the 1909 vdb was a separate coin with doubling on date and liberty and the first picture was of a vdb also which I had hoped was possible a mpl but now think the toning is what gives the matted appearance. befor now the only reference I had come across noted a small over large te on die 2 of the mpl which got the wheels turning I have others in mint state that do not have the te doubling which had me wondering if it was a variety.
Thanks again for your advice do you still think I should start with separate post?

George

coincidentally
07-04-2014, 07:54 PM
Happy 4th of July everyone be safe !!!!!!