PDA

View Full Version : Forum upgrade and scheduled downtime. Please read.

Peter
07-18-2014, 03:15 PM
I wanted to give a heads up to all members about a major upgrade and Forum change.

For the past 4 weeks I have been working on an upgrade from our current software to a more stable and secure version. It has been a bear to wrestle with but I am finally on the tail end of it and ready to make the switch.

In order to do the upgrade I have been working on a testing platform and getting out the kinks while the old Forum continued to function as normal. Beyond the upgrade I have also designed a new front page that allows us to pull out pertinent information for all members, like how to use the Forum, Will's glossary and acronym list, and items from John Millers presentations that he gives at the FUN shows. This section will constantly be added to and will only have information taken from the Forum itself.

All Forum functions will continue to operate on the new platform and as we go forward I will be able to add more bells and whistles. After we all get used to the new site and before years end, I will be introducing 2 new Forum apps. 1 for the Apple iphone and 1 for the Android that will truly allow us to be mobile. The new site is much more mobile friendly to begin with in the new version, but these apps will be down loaded from itunes and will not require a mobile device browser. It takes over the old tapatalk functionality we used to have.

The process within the next few days will be:
1. An announcement as soon as I can confirm an upgrade date that will be posted within the next 24 hours. The Forum has to be shut down for an approximate 24 hr period while data bases are synched and all information is transferred to the new platform. The post will give us a heads up. Do not be alarmed if you try to log in and the Forum is offline.
2. A holding page will be put up on our url while the Forum is shut down.
3. When the databases are synched a new holding page will be put up with links to the new site that members can then book mark and go to. As I get information I will keep updating the holding page.

I appreciate your patience while we go through this process and hope you will all enjoy the new site as much as I have working on it.