PDA

View Full Version : 1983S-1MM-001P ??

duece2seven
09-14-2014, 09:12 AM
Can't make up my mind on this. Proof coins are waaaaay out of my league. You guys decide.....

onecent1909
09-14-2014, 09:24 AM
I dont see any RPM
And I can find none listed
the punch that is used to impart the S onto the die sometimes leaves an impression.
the S in on a metal bar and is punched onto the the die. that metal bar can push down on the die and leave a image pushed on that die....
This is what I think you are seeing.. that and light glare.

There is a nice pic with the mint worker getting ready to impart the Mint Mark onto the die on Wexlers website...
RPM on Wexler's website (http://doubleddie.com/58243.html)

EDIT:.. ugh.. I looked for 1981 not 1983... hold on

OK.. your MM is not positioned in the right location as compared to the date.
look at your S in location of the 9 and the 8
then look at copper coins 1983 S rpm at the location of the 9 and 8

duece2seven
09-14-2014, 09:56 AM
Thanks. I see what you mean on MM position. I need to work on my proof photos with this Dino-Lite. Great scope but proof coins are on another level. I don't think my shots here are good enough to see all the details. You are correct for sure on MM position, though. I will try to enhance later. Thanks again!

onecent1909
09-14-2014, 10:43 AM
Do you have the model you can turn off the LEDs... then try an out side light source

duece2seven
09-14-2014, 11:15 AM
Yes. Have been procrastinating on this area to force myself to search without high magnification. It's worked but now I need proper lighting to show my finds. I've read that the Ott lights work really well for side lighting. Any recommendations?

onecent1909
09-14-2014, 11:57 AM
I have a dino-lite. but I find using my cannon degital with a macro lens.. taking a full coin pic then magnifying works best for me.
with my dino I take it out side and use sun light with no LEDs

Also your pic 3, 5, and 6 are closer to real color than 1, 2, 4
This color shift could be distracting to some.. this happened to me early in my pic taking

Check out the threads on pic taking under OFF TOPIC