PDA

View Full Version : Hi, not sure if I am going about this the right way

Felinefox
03-01-2009, 07:46 PM
guidance is always good. I came across a 1985D lincoln cent last night, that has a double mint mark. it is definitely double, as both are raised - the rear one is positioned about 2/3 of the way across the width of the forward D, and perhaps 1/5 lower than the forward D. I've read a couple of things, one said it is simply the copper peeling off (?!) but this seems to be a relatively rare coin. Does anyone have any info on anything similar ?

Thanks y'all so much for your help.

D

JonMN34
03-01-2009, 07:48 PM
First, Welcome, Second, we need some images to really make any determination for you

Felinefox
03-01-2009, 07:50 PM
Yep, waiting for the camera battery to charge. :)

OCD
03-01-2009, 07:52 PM
Welcome to the forum.

nightowl
03-01-2009, 08:11 PM
Welcome to the Forum. Pics are great.

Felinefox
03-01-2009, 08:55 PM
Pics attached to the post now. Not the greatest but you can see the double D

JonMN34
03-01-2009, 09:23 PM
Pics attached to the post now. Not the greatest but you can see the double D

Can you see zinc around the D?

kloccwork419
03-01-2009, 09:33 PM
I can tell ANYTHING by them pix. Maybe you can match up with something here
http://www.coppercoins.com/diesearch.php

Felinefox
03-01-2009, 10:26 PM
There is just the natural sorta black misty stuff that appears in various spots all over the obverse of the penny. It's not a thick black just a sorta transparent haze. And the D's are both raised - you can run your nail over them and feel them both, individually.

Felinefox
03-01-2009, 10:39 PM
copied from someone else's site but they give you the idea. On my coin the second D, in back of the first one, is further east and much further south than it is in these similar coin pics. Thanks very much for the link for Copper Coins, it gave me a great reference point........

so, any suggestions as to what to do with this ? Should I have it graded and authenticated ?

1sgret
03-02-2009, 01:18 AM
Welcome to the Forum.

D.J.
03-02-2009, 04:20 AM
I'm pretty new too so keep that in mind.

I have some of these varieties, and if you have the one you posted the pic of from coppercoins, make sure to check if your coin has the mint mark rotated like the one you think might match.

There are a few of these that are hard to tell apart, but that's one thing that helped me. I don't have a microscope right now, but if you do, definitely check the "die marks" to be more sure. If your as new to this as I am, make sure you are aware of and understand the difference between the "Eds", "Mds", and "Lds". If not you might have the right match and not see the marks you should be looking for. At least that's what I've gathered but you should really ask someone who knows more.

Felinefox
03-02-2009, 08:16 AM
I'm attaching an example of exactly how the D's are lined up, on the coin..... does this help ? The lower D is in the back of the upper D.

fugnchill
03-02-2009, 09:09 AM
Hi Felinefox,

First of all...Welcome to the forum!
Mintmarks in the 80's are notorious for plating problems (gas trapped under the copper layer) and take on the form of the mintmark itself. Generally, the bubbling doesn't separate that far away and maintain the overall shape especially with sharp detail. Yours sounds interesting! If at all possible, could you get a closer picture of the mintmark? Using the Macro setting on your camera or taking a pic through a loupe. I can't see enough detail from your first pics to say one way or another. Their a little distant and shaky.

I like the way your starting out here... Pics w/questions and detailed descriptions.

Lestrrr

RWBILLER
03-02-2009, 09:16 AM
Hi:
From those pic's you have found what is called a repunched mint mark - the die vararity that was used to produce this cent is called an rpm-001.
http://www.coppercoins.com/lincoln/diesearch.php
nice find
roger

nightowl
03-02-2009, 10:10 AM
Im going along with Lestrrr, gas bubble. I share your frustration with not being able to take a pic clear enough to show what your seeing. Please dont give up. Joe

JeanK
03-02-2009, 10:51 AM
Welcome to LCR. Good post and information about your coin.
If you can get that nice clear picture it could help settle the debate.
I think I can see some green (verdigris) corrosion at the mint mark. If that is the case, then it is possible the corrosion could make the D look as if it is doubled. We actually do want to tell you it is an rpm because that would be a really nice find.
Jean