PDA

View Full Version : 2000 Struck through?.

cranky
10-27-2014, 09:26 AM
Not sure about this. Not a acid job. weight is 2.51 grams. Same thickness as normal cent. And diameter is same.
Looks like it's some kind of design to it.What do you think is or has happened to this cent?

Roller
10-27-2014, 09:56 AM
I think the coin is worn to a nub. Possibly started out somewhat over weight if it is 2.51 now. There is no proto rim evident and it appears to be the correct diameter. All of which, along with the appearance pints to PSD or excessive wear.

Maineman750
10-27-2014, 10:31 AM
PSD all the way.

jfines69
10-27-2014, 11:55 AM
If this is wear/psd wouldn't the zinc be showing in numerous places... I remember recently seeing a post with something similar and can not remember what the determination was!!!

cranky
10-27-2014, 01:16 PM
That is what I thought at first. Just never seen one worn out before the oxidize so bad you don't even look. Thanks..

Maineman750
10-27-2014, 01:40 PM
Keep in mind I didn't say wear, that was George. But I have experimented in the garage and you can flatten a zinc cent with a hammer or between two pieces of steel and a vice without exposing any zinc. Then again, I'm no error expert so if one comes on here and says different...I'll have learned something new.

jfines69
10-27-2014, 03:21 PM
Keep in mind I didn't say wear, that was George. But I have experimented in the garage and you can flatten a zinc cent with a hammer or between two pieces of steel and a vice without exposing any zinc. Then again, I'm no error expert so if one comes on here and says different...I'll have learned something new.
I didn't even think of that... Good call!!!

Roller
10-27-2014, 04:08 PM
I'm not disagreeing with PSD at all. The shoulders (rims) on both sides are rounded. They had to have been worn down either by tumbling (dryer coin) or otherwise. That is "wear". If the coin is the normal diameter, then I doubt it was squeezed in a vice or smacked with a hammer or otherwise, since that would increase the diameter. ( I took normal diameter for granted from the pictures. If the diameter is greater than normal it is most likely a squeezed/hammered coin.) Otherwise, since there is no proto rim it would not have fit in the collar and if it were struck that way, there would, at least, be evidence of a partial collar strike, which is not present. So, the coin was struck in collar. There is no other explanation, in my mind, than wear or some other PSD. Not trying to be "knowledgeable", just explaining my reasoning.

cranky
10-27-2014, 04:59 PM
Roller theory I think he is spot on. If I could make a dozen like these. Make them into hobo buttons. We would have something.
It was the correct diameter and weight also thickness. I was just guessing after that looking at that.

onecent1909
10-27-2014, 05:43 PM
Looks closely like an extreme dryer coin to me

Maineman750
10-27-2014, 05:57 PM
I'm having trouble believing the devices could "wear" to the point of being flat without exposing zinc...but that is the nature of PSD...we can only guess.

GrumpyEd
10-29-2014, 02:22 AM
Looks like it's a dryer coin or something like that.
A small line of zinc is exposed where the corner of the rim would have been.
Probably the reason more zinc doesn't show is that the rounded and flat areas didn't exactly wear off, it's more like it was slowly beat into the new rounded shape.