PDA

View Full Version : 1983P Doubled Die Reverse

Keith
12-01-2014, 08:19 AM
I have no experience at grading coins!!! I would really appreciate it if you guys could give me your best guess on this coin. If you need better pictures let me know and I will try to get some better ones. Thanks

stoneman227
12-01-2014, 12:51 PM
Then you have as much experience at it as I do. I do know that I wish that one had passed under my glass !

Keith
12-01-2014, 12:55 PM
Yea, my heart kinda skipped a beat when that one showed up!:)

jfines69
12-01-2014, 03:04 PM
Fine on the obv... Good on the rev... Due to the corrosion holes... Then again I am no grader... In my collection I would call it a MS65 :LOL_Hair:

Keith
12-01-2014, 03:31 PM
Yea - me too! :LOL_Hair: That's why I am asking for more opinions!
Thanks Jim

GrumpyEd
12-01-2014, 03:32 PM
It's an awesome find!
One of the best doubled die cents and bar none it's the best doubled die reverse Lincoln.
That find is hard to beat :)

Added:
Yes it has a few places where the plating is messed up but I think it's not that bad. It might grade ok even with that but it's hard to predict. It doesn't need to be graded but it's one that PCGS attributes free if you give the right coin number, might be worth it if you were just adding it in with another group.

enamel7
12-01-2014, 06:21 PM
Nice find! I found one a few years ago that would probably go MS-62. I'm not a grader by no means, but I'm thinking maybe low end VG. Will wait and see what the experts say.

joel
12-01-2014, 06:51 PM
Keith, That is a SUPER FIND!!! Thanks for sharing.

Roller
12-01-2014, 06:56 PM
I grade it "excellent" find. Not a grader either but I would think in the VG group.

GrumpyEd
12-01-2014, 07:53 PM
Brutal graders LOL :)

I think that if a TPG didn't call it damaged that it would grade around F.

Keith
12-02-2014, 03:13 AM
Thanks guys - you are all coming in fairly consistent. That is along the same lines as I was thinking, just wanted a little confirmation. Guess I'll just put it in a 2x2 and march on and look for another one in better condition.

DCW
12-02-2014, 03:20 AM
Man, you guys ARE tough graders. You know, I think there are very few memorials out there even approaching the VG or F level. They just dont spend enough time in circulation. I'm quite certain this monster doubled die didn't bounce around cash register to counter top, putting in work for the last thirty years. Aside from the high points, all the detail is there.
This is an AU, all day in my book. Maybe "genuine- AU details" graded, but it certainly has the look of a nice collector coin.

Now you absolutely have to send it in to see what PCGS has to say.

Keith
12-02-2014, 03:24 AM
Wow - didn't really expect that. I have never sent a coin in to be graded. Wouldn't even know how to begin. And, is it even worth it???

DCW
12-02-2014, 04:48 AM
Sending in a coin to a third party grader is simple, but cost prohibitive. Assuming your coin is worth around $100 in that condition, it would probably not be worth it if you were looking to make a profit. It would cost you in the area of 60 bucks with all the postage and service fees to send it to PCGS, and let's not forget the membership fee of $49. The "worth" comes from the lesson you learn in grading and of course the encapsulation of a very memorable find. If you're looking for money, you can sell this puppy raw.
Like I said, looks AU to these eyes with ample mint red remaining. What will probably bury this into a "problem slab" is ironically what makes this coin special, the reverse. Appears to have some light corrosion across the upper memorial.
If you are a member of PCGS, why not take the chance? I am a member, and if you'd like to send it to me, I will attach it to my next submission for us all to gain a little knowledge.

GrumpyEd
12-02-2014, 01:55 PM
Man, you guys ARE tough graders. You know, I think there are very few memorials out there even approaching the VG or F level. They just dont spend enough time in circulation. I'm quite certain this monster doubled die didn't bounce around cash register to counter top, putting in work for the last thirty years. Aside from the high points, all the detail is there.
This is an AU, all day in my book. Maybe "genuine- AU details" graded, but it certainly has the look of a nice collector coin.

I agree with this.
Even to call it F-EF would mean that they net graded it down because of the small damaged areas of plating but in theory they should either grade it straight or call it damaged, although I've seen where they sometimes sneak in a net grade.
I wouldn't be surprised if it got graded AU details or possibly straight graded.

grnwavdav
12-02-2014, 10:18 PM
Amazing find! That will get the heart pumping and fuel the excitement for searching for a long time!

GrumpyEd
12-02-2014, 10:44 PM
I am a member, and if you'd like to send it to me, I will attach it to my next submission for us all to gain a little knowledge.

That is a nice offer. For that coin attribution is free since it's in the redbook, submit it as coin number 3056 and they'll label it as the DDR without the FS number for free. The normal grading cost and SH is probably worth it for that coin.

Keith
12-03-2014, 04:03 AM
Great info GrumpyEd - thanks for your input and insight. I will probably take DCW up on the offer and see what happens with this baby! I will let you all know when it comes back.

koinmon
12-03-2014, 06:52 PM
No mistaking that DD Rev. much better than the 1 I found many years ago; it looked like a dog took a bite out of it. The corrosion had eaten a small chunk right out of it.

onecent1909
12-03-2014, 07:32 PM
something I have learned of late.. A guy at the flea market put me on to this...
above liberty going noth.northeast from the E and almost horizontally over the RT is a "arrow"
I can see it on yours...
This is a pic of mine... it is in a holder.. these are the best pics I could get...
something to look for on E-BAY or at a shop....

95292 95293