PDA

View Full Version : 1982D-1DO-001

duece2seven
12-18-2014, 05:09 PM
Spent the last 2 hours attributing my girlfriends "SHINY" coins she overpaid for picking from the dealers junk bin. I always give her crap because she's like a bass biting a spoon-if it shines brightly enough, she goes for it. Well, if this attribution holds up, I guess her junk wasn't junk at all.... :tinysmile_cry_t3:!! So far I've viewed about 10 of her picks. Of the ten coins I've found a BU 2013-D Kennedy Half with a monster DDO I can't find listed anywhere, an 1863 I.H. that after Verdicare should reveal an "L" in the ribbon, a high AU-low UNC 1912-D wheat the dealer must've put in the wrong holder{she paid $2.00 for it because Abe's hair stood out so well!}, and this coin! I think she spent $20-25 for all ten coins. I now have no opinion concerning her future coin purchases, :crossedlips:. Somebody please help me out and tell me "82-D isn't what I think it is!

Maineman750
12-18-2014, 05:24 PM
I don't believe this is 001....your MM looks a tad too far east

cranky
12-18-2014, 07:39 PM
Did you check the markers on the reverse? I cant tell but NO doubt Maineman is always spot on.
Another Die deterioration job.

enamel7
12-18-2014, 08:05 PM
On a side note, can I see a pic of the half dollar?

duece2seven
12-18-2014, 11:36 PM
Did you check the markers on the reverse? I cant tell but NO doubt Maineman is always spot on.
Another Die deterioration job.
I'm such an idiot! Forgot marker photos. Will postem after work. If memory serves me, I saw the die crack running down far right column and the crack/gouge extending from top rt corner of building. As far MM position, I agree with Roger but markers were there so I went with it. Just thought C.Coins pics were at different angle.

cranky
12-19-2014, 12:25 AM
You still may have one only in LDS
Look between the letters and edges all around the lines are a sign of that.

jfines69
12-19-2014, 04:36 AM
I agree with Maineman... The MM is to far east for 001... It is not 002 either... It does appear to have some separation tho which may be lighting... A good candidate for sending in I think!!!

duece2seven
12-19-2014, 05:25 PM
Here are the marker pics. Hope you can see them clearly. My lighting needs work especially on the UNC's and I had to play with the color on my Dino-lite to capture the markers. I can see them clearly through my 10X loupe. I'm still somewhat unsure of MM position. The photo on Coppercoins looks like it was taken from much more of a tilted southeasterly angle than my photo. That could explain the variance in position. Dunno? If the markers are accurate, then it matches 001 except for MM question. As far as die state goes, my experience is very limited but my coin looks much more grainy and deteriorated than the Coppercoins pic. Btw, I just noticed what could be notching on AMERICA. Whatcha think? Thanks again

Maineman750
12-19-2014, 06:18 PM
Hard to tell with those marker pics, but from what I see, they don't match up exactly. Not sure what you mean by CC'c pics being tilted, they are normally taken parallel and perpendicular to the camera...any angles would be deceptive for everyone

duece2seven
12-19-2014, 07:38 PM
Hard to tell with those marker pics, but from what I see, they don't match up exactly. Not sure what you mean by CC'c pics being tilted, they are normally taken parallel and perpendicular to the camera...any angles would be deceptive for everyone

Hope I didn't infer Coppercoins photos were deceptive. Didn't mean to if I did. I mentioned the possible tilting because of something Bob told me the other day:

Please try to remember that what appears to be a tilt of the mint mark may actually be a tilt of the camera. Sometimes, in order to get the best photos, we have to take the pics at a slight angle. We would normally discourage that, but sometimes it is necessary. This one looks like a great attribution. I think the circulation wear on this one is what gets you.

Just thought a different camera angle at Coppercoins might explain why the MM on my coin appears to sit further east. Hypothetically speaking, if the markers I see are correct and the camera angle explained the appearance of a different MM position, then 001 would be correct. I'm unclear on something though - Is it possible to have two different varieties with the same markers for same year and MM? I didn't think it could happen but I'm still very uneducated on alot of this stuff. Sorry for the vague marker photos.

Maineman750
12-20-2014, 01:39 AM
Yes, it's very possible to have two different varieties for the same year/MM with the same markers if you switch out the obverse die and keep the reverse die in production.....but that's a long shot.

And I do understand what Bob was telling you, but it will not affect the appearance enough that the mm looks to be in a different location.

Maybe just try to get good pics of your markers.....right now it's tough to determine much from them.

duece2seven
12-20-2014, 04:10 AM
Yes, it's very possible to have two different varieties for the same year/MM with the same markers if you switch out the obverse die and keep the reverse die in production.....but that's a long shot.

And I do understand what Bob was telling you, but it will not affect the appearance enough that the mm looks to be in a different location.

Maybe just try to get good pics of your markers.....right now it's tough to determine much from them.

Thanks for all the effort, Roger. I should be flogged for the bad pics on this one. Gonna head to photography school for awhile and I shall not return here without proper pics!

jfines69
12-20-2014, 04:29 AM
Thanks for all the effort, Roger. I should be flogged for the bad pics on this one. Gonna head to photography school for awhile and I shall not return here without proper pics!
:sign10: I would have been flogged a long time ago for pics I had posted... The crack on the memorial base on CC appears to jog farther east then the one on your coin... I still do not think the MM position is correct... Even for a camera angle difference and die wear your MM still appears farther from the corner of the 9!!!

Maineman750
12-21-2014, 02:00 AM

No biggie, we all need to get better at pics and the only way you learn is by posting them and getting feedback. Plus you can always set coins aside and save them for when you can fully illustrate what you see.