PDA

View Full Version : 2014 D DDR

duece2seven
12-29-2014, 02:36 PM
Don't know why I'm torturing myself with all these memorials and shields lately! Ran out of wheats and searching pocket change. Anyway, is this notching significant on Shields? Are my my pics diffused enough now to see it on your end? Hope so. thanks

willbrooks
12-29-2014, 02:41 PM
I think we are just seeing glare on the corners which often produces the illusion of a split.

duece2seven
12-29-2014, 02:57 PM
Ok. Question- assume you could see this notching through a 10X loupe. Can the notching be caused by MDD or something else? I can see it with my loupe. It's minor but it's there. If what you see was real notching, would it be significant enough to count or attribute? Thanks

jfines69
12-29-2014, 03:13 PM
The NW section of the "O" in ONE looks distorted but I think that may be lighting also... One thing I have had luck with for pics is reflecting lite off a blank sheet of white printer paper or my hand... The hand can give the pic a red look!!!

duece2seven
12-29-2014, 03:31 PM
I bought the wrong Dino-Lite a few years ago. Should've bought the one with a longer working distance so that I can get a side light source in there. Works great on brown, circulated wheats but really sucks on uncirculated coins! They don't tell you external light can't be used on some models at high magnification. Other than taking pics outside in daylight it's even tough to cut the glare at lower magnification. I live in Florida and shooting outside in summer can be extremely annoying for a disgusting fat-body like me! :sign7:. Think I'm gonna bite the bullet and get a real microscope. I've tried it all on this thing and I'm about to be done with it!

Maineman750
12-29-2014, 04:01 PM
One thing you can look for here....on a shield ddr, you should see distortion of the incuse lettering in most cases....

cranky
12-29-2014, 06:30 PM
Is your scope a version that you can hold in your hand. I f you roll the lenses in different directions you will see the notches disappear or appear in a different direction.
I still use mine a lot when going through older coins just because of the glare. It gives a optical illusion that there is doubling on new ones.

Scott99
12-29-2014, 07:00 PM
It's lighting... you can tell on the 4th pic where you're pointing at the 'notching' on ONE. On the N you're pointing at the NW corners and on the E you're pointing at the NE corners. My opinion is that this coin does not appear to be a doubled die, it is just an illusion created by the light. Doubling that significant on ONE CENT would affect LB and JFM without a doubt and they appear normal to me.

onecent1909
12-29-2014, 07:04 PM
I have a dino lite... use it sometime... not on a shinny coin to much
I use a Cannon digital rebel with a close up filter and a nice lens
Then I crop
Try a led flash lite moving around the clear area of the dinolite..

duece2seven
12-29-2014, 10:14 PM
Thanks for all the info guys. Don't get me wrong. I'm not frustrated and ready to give up. I'm frustrated that I paid so much for this thing and it doesn't work as advertised. I've tries all the techniques you've mentioned and I just can't make it work on bright coins. I feel like I'm on more
of a mission to make the scope function than to find new varieties. I'm extremely hardheaded and I HATE giving up! They should pay me for research because I'm gonna figure this thing out one way or the other. Thanks again for all your help.

Scott99
12-29-2014, 10:49 PM
When I used a digital microscope, the lights were constantly on so I ripped them out and used a desk lamp as a light source. Now I use an amscope and wish I had started with it instead of digital. Would have saved a bit of money. Lol

GrumpyEd
12-30-2014, 12:16 AM
It's lighting.

You might need a different solution for shinny red cents than brown circs.

jfines69
12-30-2014, 04:15 AM
I bought the wrong Dino-Lite a few years ago. Should've bought the one with a longer working distance so that I can get a side light source in there. Works great on brown, circulated wheats but really sucks on uncirculated coins! They don't tell you external light can't be used on some models at high magnification. Other than taking pics outside in daylight it's even tough to cut the glare at lower magnification. I live in Florida and shooting outside in summer can be extremely annoying for a disgusting fat-body like me! :sign7:. Think I'm gonna bite the bullet and get a real microscope. I've tried it all on this thing and I'm about to be done with it!
Nothing like the pan handle in summer... Warm Humid and mosquitos :LOL_Hair: