PDA

View Full Version : 1969 S DDO-002 &DDO-003 question

duece2seven
12-31-2014, 12:48 AM
Just curious if anyone could tell me if the weak hubbing on these will closely resemble MDD or deterioration doubling. Will it be just a very weak rounded image sunken into the die? Also, is it possible to have a hub doubled date when strike doubling is also present?

GrumpyEd
12-31-2014, 01:52 AM
Yes it looks similar to MD but won't take a bite from the normal design and would match the listing EXACTLY.

You can have both, there's no reason that any doubled die won't also have MD but for most collectors they'd prefer not to have the MD because it confuses things and might reduce the value.

Be careful because 69-S are full of impressive MD. It's like the posterchild of coins that get sent to TPGs as doubled dies but turn out to be MD. If you think you have a die-2 be sure it matches and look for the markers .

duece2seven
12-31-2014, 02:08 AM
Yes it looks similar to MD but won't take a bite from the normal design and would match the listing EXACTLY.

You can have both, there's no reason that any doubled die won't also have MD but for most collectors they'd prefer not to have the MD because it confuses things and might reduce the value.

Be careful because 69-S are full of impressive MD. It's like the posterchild of coins that get sent to TPGs as doubled dies but turn out to be MD. If you think you have a die-2 be sure it matches and look for the markers .

Thanks, Ed. I've had $100 face in BU rolls for nearly 3 years now and I'm just now allowing myself to search the 2nd roll! I knew this search would be perhaps the most difficult I've ever tried and I wanted to wait until I had the experience to know what I'm looking at/for. I think I will wait another 3 years! This is a brain numbing endeaver indeed! LOL!

GrumpyEd
12-31-2014, 02:17 AM
I think if I had 200 rolls I'd search fast looking for die-1. If you find it you will know it!
I think you'll find some massive MD coins as well and learn a lot.
Maybe put aside anything you think is a minor DDO or MD and post them for inputs but I'd be eager to make the first pass for a die-1. Just imagine if you found a few of them you can retire LOL!!! That would be a great start for 2015 :xd:

duece2seven
12-31-2014, 02:33 AM
Wouldn't it though! I think I must enjoy the torture of not knowing! Leaving them unsearched until I'm ready kinda serves as my motivation to get better. Just searching the 2 rolls tells me I have alot left to learn. Anyone comfortable looking at these things has definitely ARRIVED in terms of knowledge and experience because these strikes will make a person question everything they THOUGHT they knew about varieties! Die deterioration, strike doubling, weak strikes, PMD, MDD, you name it and it's all there on the '69-S! In my opinion, a fully struck '69-S seems to be just as rare as DDO-001.

jfines69
12-31-2014, 04:31 AM
Wish I had a brain to numb :LOL_Hair: Maybe you will get lucky and find a fully struck 69S :LOL_Hair: