PDA

View Full Version : 1998D-1DR-001 with doubling on upper columns 2 - 5

profiler
03-02-2015, 03:06 PM
Found this LMC that seems it's a decent match for coppercoins' 1998D-1DR-001 in that the upper part of columns 2 - 5 are doubled (see attached). Yet, none of the four markers match. Does that "disqualify" this from being a 1998D-1DR-001? Or is the doubling on the columns just some sort of die wear thing?

Thank you in advance. :)

jfines69
03-02-2015, 03:22 PM
No markers does not rule out the match... It depends on the die state... Markers can disappear thru die use and others may not be there on earlier die states... The DDR on Copper Coins is MDS (Mid Die State)... Is that die crack running north from Abe in Bay 6 to the corner of Column 6 and into the roof... If so I would say this may be a different DDR... Cracks and chips normal progress with die use and the coin on Copper Coins does not have a crack in that area just a small chip above Bay 6 closer to column 7... Hopefully Bob chimes in!!!

mustbebob
03-02-2015, 04:32 PM
As I mention in the die description on coppercoins, this may in fact be master die doubling. It would mean that there are numerous dies associated with this type of doubling so not finding any matching markers would not be a concern. You may have simply found another die which could be one of many.

profiler
03-02-2015, 05:09 PM
No markers does not rule out the match... It depends on the die state... Markers can disappear thru die use and others may not be there on earlier die states... The DDR on Copper Coins is MDS (Mid Die State)... Is that die crack running north from Abe in Bay 6 to the corner of Column 6 and into the roof... If so I would say this may be a different DDR... Cracks and chips normal progress with die use and the coin on Copper Coins does not have a crack in that area just a small chip above Bay 6 closer to column 7... Hopefully Bob chimes in!!!

Thank you for your prompt and educational reply. Good eye on the "die crack"... It was just an eyelash or something. I've attached a fresh image.

Thanks again, jfines. :)

profiler
03-02-2015, 05:16 PM
As I mention in the die description on coppercoins, this may in fact be master die doubling. It would mean that there are numerous dies associated with this type of doubling so not finding any matching markers would not be a concern. You may have simply found another die which could be one of many.

Thank you, Bob. I did see that note but being so new to all of this, I didn't really process it.

So even though it's likely from another die, would this coin still technically be identified as a 1998-1DR-001? Or would it be "unclassified" since it's a minor variation?

Thanks again for your time and consideration. :)

jfines69
03-03-2015, 04:23 AM
I am glad Bob chimed in... He knows this stuff better than I!!!

mustbebob
03-03-2015, 01:55 PM
would this coin still technically be identified as a 1998-1DR-001

Good question. If this is Master Die Doubling, it would technically be a doubled die, but not listable. It would not be 1DR-001 unless the markers match. We do not identify all dies of a Master Doubled nature. There is no premium associated with it because there are so many out there.

Over time, this listing will either be removed from coppercoins, or identified with a Master Die identifier and the 1DR-001 number would be available again for a verifiable unique doubled die. BTW...we also have a similar die listed as 1999D-1DR-001. This would hold true for this die as well.

profiler
03-03-2015, 04:05 PM
Good question. If this is Master Die Doubling, it would technically be a doubled die, but not listable. It would not be 1DR-001 unless the markers match. We do not identify all dies of a Master Doubled nature. There is no premium associated with it because there are so many out there.

Over time, this listing will either be removed from coppercoins, or identified with a Master Die identifier and the 1DR-001 number would be available again for a verifiable unique doubled die. BTW...we also have a similar die listed as 1999D-1DR-001. This would hold true for this die as well.

Thank you for that explanation. Very informative nuances there classifying doubled dies.

Best wishes, Bob.