PDA

View Full Version : Canon Rebel EOS problem

Maineman750
03-03-2015, 04:39 PM
I know it's a long shot but here is my problem : I just now got around installing the camera software on my new pc (Windows8.1).( Everything worked find on the old pc (XP)). Now....when I open the EOS utility, it acts like it doesn't recognize the camera...the only command I can use is "MONITOR FOLDER"...the others that let you control the camera are faded and inoperative. Also, when I turn on the camera, it is on only for a few seconds...I removed the SD card and that problem stopped for about an hour, but has resurfaced. I have gone to the Canon website for updates, reformatted the SD card, kicked the dog twice, and nothing works. Anybody have any new ideas ?

willbrooks
03-03-2015, 05:06 PM
I know it's a long shot but here is my problem : I just now got around installing the camera software on my new pc (Windows8.1).( Everything worked find on the old pc (XP)). Now....when I open the EOS utility, it acts like it doesn't recognize the camera...the only command I can use is "MONITOR FOLDER"...the others that let you control the camera are faded and inoperative. Also, when I turn on the camera, it is on only for a few seconds...I removed the SD card and that problem stopped for about an hour, but has resurfaced. I have gone to the Canon website for updates, reformatted the SD card, kicked the dog twice, and nothing works. Anybody have any new ideas ?

Ah, I think I see the problem. Try giving the dog a home-brew and kicking the camera twice.

Peter
03-03-2015, 05:35 PM
Ahh 8.1 is wonky. Try 7 Pro!

jallengomez
03-03-2015, 07:27 PM
I shoot with Canon. Which Rebel do you have? You probably need to go to Canon's website and upgrade the software and drivers. That's if Canon has upgrades. One thing that drives me crazy is that they don't put much effort into the upgrading the software of their older cameras so that they are compatible with newer operating systems.

Maineman750
03-03-2015, 07:40 PM
Jody...all I can remember is it's a 2009 Rebel XS.1000D I went to their website and updated my utility...but it said " no drivers needed with your OS"

I did notice that the newest OS's mentioned were Vista on some of the info I was looking at

jallengomez
03-03-2015, 08:03 PM
I think that's the problem. I just checked and it said that there were no drivers or software updates for Windows 8. That's ridiculous that Canon can't take the time to update drivers and software for a camera that is still very much in use. One thing that has worked for me on my older Canons is to go into the menu and find the "Communication" setting and set it to "Print/PTP." That should at least allow Window's software to detect it and download the images.

onecent1909
03-03-2015, 08:48 PM
I shot my pics. then I have a card reader.. I put my CF card in the reader and away I go.. I do not even use any Canon software

jfines69
03-04-2015, 04:32 AM
You should be able to run the software as XP Compatable... Rt. click the desktop icon click the compatability tab and set it to run as XP... If that doesn't work shoot windows 8.1 :LOL_Hair: Let me know!!!

Maineman750
03-04-2015, 05:18 AM
You should be able to run the software as XP Compatable... Rt. click the desktop icon click the compatability tab and set it to run as XP... If that doesn't work shoot windows 8.1 :LOL_Hair: Let me know!!!

Didn't work Jim....but I did see a similar solution...it said to download the XP drivers from Canon, then switch to compatibility mode. Apparently Canon never updated drivers beyond Vista. I'll give it a try after I do my morning errands...thanks

Maineman750
03-04-2015, 02:50 PM
Well...I solved my problem....fired up the old pc with XP...works fine...duh

jfines69
03-04-2015, 03:07 PM
At least it works!!!

jallengomez
03-04-2015, 03:41 PM
Roger,

Did you try changing the communication settings to PTP?

jay4202472000
03-04-2015, 04:16 PM
Glad you got it working Roger.

Maineman750
03-04-2015, 04:42 PM
Roger,

Did you try changing the communication settings to PTP?

Jody...I couldn't find a "communications" setting.

Maineman750
03-04-2015, 04:45 PM
Glad you got it working Roger.

A day late though...sometimes the simple answer is hard to see.

jcuve
04-07-2015, 09:38 PM
I've never tried using the EOS utility program to operate any of my Canons. In the past I could have tried it with either my 50d or 20d as the computer was nearby. I would try it with my 5dmII, but now I don't have the computer anywhere within proximity. I typically use Live View to focus, but must admit I have to take my glasses off to see well enough. Maybe I'll try it at some point...