PDA

View Full Version : 1988P dropped device?

Roller
06-19-2015, 06:09 PM
I see the possibility of a dropped W. Anyone see the same or something else. No doubt in my mind that it is die related.

Roller
06-19-2015, 06:43 PM
Hmmm. A dropped device would be incuse in the coin. Looking at the lighting/shadows, the main outline of the anomaly on yours looks raised to me. Can you confirm this? If so, I would say it has to be some unusual die damage.

You're right about the "main design" Will. I'm looking at the depression outlining it. However, I'm not married to the dropped device either. It is curious, though.

duece2seven
06-20-2015, 12:49 AM
Kinda looks like a bowtie shape? Interesting

jfines69
06-20-2015, 04:30 AM
To me it appears to be a piece of stray metal struck in to the coin!!!

mustbebob
06-20-2015, 01:58 PM
Does not appear to be a dropped letter. IMHO, it is some sort of damage to this specific coin, not to the die..

willbrooks
06-20-2015, 02:23 PM
Does not appear to be a dropped letter. IMHO, it is some sort of damage to this specific coin, not to the die..

I agree with this. After looking again, it looks like there is a sunken AND a raised portion. This can pretty much only happen from psd.

Roller
06-20-2015, 03:43 PM
I'm OK with this not being a dropped device but still think that it is die related. Part of my opinion is base on the fact that the slight anom to the NW of the main one is raised. Could be a coincidental gouge but odds are better that it is part of the entire event.

jcuve
06-20-2015, 05:12 PM
It sort of looks like damage with some piled up metal. The coin does show a lot of abrasion, so I wouldn't rule it out. I'm too hungry at the moment to get my head wrapped around what I see versus the negative image of a hypothetical damaged die...