PDA

View Full Version : First day issue's

cranky
06-28-2015, 03:45 PM
How do they determine when and who gets to buy these and when they are marked is it actual coin that was minted like this one 1571 of 9849. 1571'st one Minted for the day or that was bought and graded by ANACS?
When they print certified are the also saying the same on grade.
With a couple of these found I have a hard to believe that they are in this case MS-67.
Thanks.

willbrooks
06-28-2015, 06:49 PM
I addressed some this crud in the glossary under First Strike (http://www.lincolncentforum.com/terminology-list-f/#First%20Strikes) and Early Releases (http://www.lincolncentforum.com/terminology-list-e/#Early%20Releases). This "first day of issue" is new to me, but I assume we are under a new incarnation of the same BS. I have no idea who gets to buy these first, and if they are in any way "limited" in their production, but I can tell you this: with the rate coins are currently struck, a single die can reach LDS in a matter of a few hours. So, just because a coin was struck and released the first day, does not mean it is any different than a coin struck 9 months later by a different die. A coin can be VLDS on the first day. That is a fact. Now, maybe this new designation actually means something different, and maybe the mint is in cooperation with some new plan, but I would be surprised. I would assume this is just another "designation" play to inflate the cost of coins for people who have itchy underpants. Feel free to correct me if things have changed. I guess some folks feel that a coin released the first day has more value than a coin released another day. Being first in line is worth something extra to people, and I guess I have felt that way too, so to each their own. But do not assume the coin is anything special "strike-wise" other than the mint released it the first day.

cranky
06-28-2015, 08:37 PM
I had the feeling there was a some snake oil sales going on here.
And even knowing that production rate could produce 10000 coins in a matter of minutes.
Thank you Will for responding.

GrumpyEd
06-28-2015, 10:18 PM
A lot of that numbered stuff might be done for the TV marketers.
It's sort of a laugh, even the number 9849 was probably picked because it's about 10,000 but sounds lower.
There are many rare coins with less than 10,000 existing but with these there were billions made and numbering 10,000 on the first day doesn't make them any rarer.
When they hype it on TV, they can say "There were only 9849 of these made and I've only got a thousand to sell on the show so hurry and order before they run out".

Along with most of the TV stuff being hyped it's by nature not rare. If it was rare they won't have enough to make it worth the TV time to sell that way and if it's really rare it would sell easily so they wouldn't need to hype it on TV to get rid of it.

:LOL_Hair:

cranky
06-29-2015, 12:43 AM
That is a great reply and I never thought of it as infomercial type. I may have a hard t1me getting my money out of these. One may go ms-67 But the other I wouldn't think it being a 65.
$7.00 For the pair plus shipping for my almost Novelty Slabs.A lesson learned. Thanks.

GrumpyEd
06-29-2015, 04:05 AM
At $7 you're fine.
The guy I feel sorry for is the one that probably bought it for $40 and sold it to you for $7. :)

Probably came from HSN but sold out so it's not on their site but similar to this deal:

http://www.amazon.com/Lincoln-Union-Shield-Cents-ANACS/dp/B00F2W5XOY