PDA

View Full Version : Help on grade

cranky
07-02-2015, 11:47 PM
1985 Any guess on this Gem pulled out of a Mint set. I hope to send it in for grade .Positive its 67 maybe 68 . 2 dots on reverse is not on coin. Its clean.
Thanks

duece2seven
07-03-2015, 01:20 AM
Man, that looks flawless! Almost proof like. I'm horrible with grading but I can at least say I've never seen one this nice! BTW, what's up with the bottom of the ear? Is that normal or double die?

GrumpyEd
07-03-2015, 02:53 AM
Zincolns from mint sets often look pretty spectacular to me.
I put most of my effort into varieties and getting then graded but some mint set coins have looked pretty tempting but I assume they can't all grade as high as they look to me.

Some people say that the mint set coins are made about the same as bus strikes but I think they do more special stuff than people think. (strike pressure? polished blanks? different press used? better prepped dies?) They often look prooflike and have high thick rims. It's so different that if you have a full roll of them, it takes less coins to fill the roll because the rims are so tall. Also, if you mix one into a normal roll you can pick it out easily if you dump it or if you look at the rims through a tube you'll spot the mint set coin easily by the wide shiny rim/edge.

People have argued what I just said but I can only say, you could look through tons of normal 85 bus strikes and probably will not find a coin that looks like the 85 posted in this thread. On the other hand, you can probably easily find more like it in other 85 mint sets.

jfines69
07-03-2015, 04:25 AM
Sorry but I have to give that a grade of poor... Darn birds thru food all over my screen and I can't see a thing so now I have to clean it :LOL_Hair: That is a nice one... I think you are correct on the 67... Lets us know what it turns out to be!!!

Maineman750
07-03-2015, 08:15 AM
I seriously doubt anyone can give you a guaranteed grade based on pics alone...even an in-hand can come back lower than anyone's guess. The problem I see is that it is not worth spending the money to get a 67...the last two NGC examples sold went for $15 and $27....but I didn't see any listed in MS68 so it might be worth a gamble if you want to take a chance.

cranky
07-03-2015, 07:05 PM
Never noticed that ear. Have to wait until it comes back. Compared it to a few 67 and a 68 downtown and was told it may indeed be a 68.
I also sent in a 1991 P with MD that Mr. Daughtrey suggested sending in from a few years back because it could be a 68 also or at least 67. That I wanted to see if they knock it down A Grade because of the MD.

jmangham
07-03-2015, 07:50 PM
Can't wait to see what they come back as!

cranky
08-04-2015, 03:32 PM
And here is the final nail in in the coffin for this coin.
Though it failed miserably as a MS 70 it still showed a promising MS 68.
Thanks

profiler
08-04-2015, 03:44 PM
Some people say that the mint set coins are made about the same as bus strikes but I think they do more special stuff than people think. (strike pressure? polished blanks? different press used? better prepped dies?)

Ed, I just read today that they use slower presses and highly (finely, I'm assuming) polished dies.

jmangham
08-04-2015, 04:12 PM
Way to go! I like it.

jfines69
08-05-2015, 04:20 AM
Very nice grade... Thanks for the update!!!

WheatsRATreat
08-05-2015, 06:04 AM
I think you have a great eye for modern Lincoln's, congrats on the grade!